Director, Research Center for Bioscience and Nanoscience
- Soft materials under extreme conditions
CONTACTResearch Center for Bioscience and Nanoscience,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka 237-0061, Japan
- Ph.D., Kyoto University
- Sweden Visiting Fellow, Lund University, Sweden (supported by Japan-Sweden Foundation)
- MEng, Kyoto University
- BEng, Kyoto University
- Director, Research Center for Bioscience and Nanoscience, JAMSTEC
- Group Leader, Deep-Sea Nanoscience Research Group, Research Center for Bioscience and Nanoscience, JAMSTEC
- Adjunct Professor, Toyo University
- Visiting Researcher, Bio-Nano Electronics Research Centre, Toyo University
- Adjunct Professor, Yokohama City University
- Director, R&D Center for Marine Biosciences, JAMSTEC
- Group Leader, Frontier Research Group, R&D Center for Marine Biosciences, JAMSTEC
- Visiting Researcher, National Institute for Materials Science
- Team Leader, Institute of Biogeosciences, JAMSTEC
- Group Leader, Extremobiosphere Research Center, JAMSTEC
- Sub Leader, Frontier Research System for Extremophiles, JAMSTEC
- Research Scientist, Frontier Research Program for Deep-Sea Extremophiles, JAMSTEC
- Overseas Research Fellow, Lund University, Sweden (supported by Japan Science and Technology Corporation)
- Oleo Science Award (Japan Oil Chemists' Society)
- Ichimura Prize in Technology – Meritorious Achievement Prize (New Technology Development Foundation)
- Takagi Award (Society of Non-Traditional Technology)
- Osawa Award (Fullerenes and Nanotubes Research Society)
- Young Scientist Award (Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry, The Chemical Society of Japan)
- Nano Tech Weekly Award (Society for Nano Science and Technology)
- Kinoshita, K., Takano, Y., Ohkouchi, N., Deguchi, S. Free-radical polymerization of acrylic acid under extreme reaction conditions mimicking deep-sea hydrothermal vents. ACS Omega 2, 2765-2769 (2017)
- Kubota, T., Kobayashi, T., Nunoura, T., Maruyama, F. & Deguchi, S. Enantioselective utilization of D-amino acids by deep-sea microorganisms. Front. Microbiol. 7:511 (2016).
- Deguchi, S. & Ifuku, N. Bottom-up formation of dodecane-in-water nanoemulsions from hydrothermal homogeneous solutions. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 52, 6409-6412 (2013).
- Deguchi, S., Shimoshige, H., Tsudome, M., Mukai, S., Corkery, R. W., Ito, S. & Horikoshi, K. Microbial growth at hyperaccelerations up to 403,367 × g. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108, 7997-8002 (2011).
- Deguchi, S., Tsudome, M., Shen, Y., Konishi, S., Tsujii, K., Ito, S. & Horikoshi, K. Preparation and characterization of nanofibrous cellulose as a new solid support for microbial culture. Soft Matter 3, 1170-1175 (2007).
- Deguchi, S., Mukai, S., Tsudome, M. & Horikoshi, K. Facile generation of fullerene nanoparticles by hand-grinding. Adv. Mater. 18, 729-732 (2006).
- Deguchi, S., Tsujii, K. & Horikoshi, K. Cooking cellulose in hot and compressed water. Chem. Commun. 2006, 3293-3295.
- Deguchi, S., Alargova, R. G. & Tsujii, K. Stable dispersions of fullerenes, C60 and C70, in water. Preparation and characterization. Langmuir 17, 6013 -6017 (2001).
- Deguchi, S. & Lindman, B. Novel approach for the synthesis of hydrophobe modified polyacrylamide. Direct N-alkylation of polyacrylamide in dimethyl sulfoxide. Polymer 40, 7163-7165 (1999).
- Akiyoshi, K., Deguchi, S., Moriguchi, N., Yamaguchi, S. & Sunamoto, J. Self-aggregates of hydrophobized polysaccharides in water. Formation and characteristics of nanoparticles. Macromolecules 26, 3062-3068 (1993).
SELECTED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Deguchi, S., Comparative in situ microscopic observation of cellulose and chitin in hydrothermal conditions. In: Extreme Biomimetics, Ehrlich, H. Ed. Springer: Cham, 2017; pp 119-133.
- Deguchi, S., Kinoshita, K., Kubota, T., Aqua extrema and vita incognita deep below the waves. in Aqua incognita: Why ice floats on water and Galileo 400 years on, Lo Nostro, P., Ninham, B. W. Ed. Connor Court: Ballarat, 2014; pp 240-255.
- Deguchi, S., Mukai, S., Optical reactors for microscopic visualization of chemical processes in sub- and supercritical water. in Near-critical and supercritical water and their applications for biorefineries, Fang, Z., Xu, C. Ed. Springer Science+Business Media: Dordrecht, 2014; pp 133–156.
- Deguchi, S., Light scattering at high temperature and high pressure: Black smoker. in Fundamentals and Applications of Light Scattering, Shibayama, M., Sato, T., Iwai, T, Kimura, Y. Ed. Kodansha: Tokyo, 2014; pp 304–316 (in Japanese).
- Deguchi, S., Horikoshi, K., Expanding limits for life to a new dimension: Microbial growth at hypergravity. in Polyextremophiles: Life under multiple forms of stress, Seckbach, J., Oren, A., Stan-Lotter, H. Ed. Springer Netherlands: Dordrecht, 2013; pp 467-481.
- Deguchi, S., Ifuku, N., Equipment for Manufacturing Emulsion, Japanese Patent No. 6124485, registered on April 14, 2017 (Application No. 2016-101005, filed on May 20, 2016)
- Deguchi, S., Tsudome, M., Nagaki, K., Todaka, N., Kurosawa, Y., Method for assaying enzymatic activity, Japanese Panten No. 6004515, registered on Sept. 16, 2016 (Unexamined Patent Application No. 2013-169163, published on Sept. 2, 2013, Application No. 2012-34045, filed on Feb. 20, 2012)
- Deguchi, S., Ifuku, N., Method for Manufacturing Emulsion, Japanese Patent No.5943455, registered on June 3, 2016 (Unexamined Patent Application No. 2013-39547, published on Feb. 28, 2013, Application No. 2011-179679, filed on Aug. 19, 2011)
- Deguchi, S., Kinoshita, K.、Radical polymerization process and apparatus for performing the process, Japanese Patent Application No. 2014-174688 (filed on Aug. 29, 2014)
- Deguchi, S., Tsudome, M., Ito, S., Horikoshi, K., Solid cellulosic culture mediumu and process for producing the same, Japanese Patent No. 4665184, registered on Jan. 21, 2011 (Application No. 2006-510551, filed on Feb. 28, 2006)
- Chemical Society of Japan
- American Chemical Society
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- International Association of Colloid and Interface Scientists
- Society of Polymer Science, Japan
- Biophysical Society of Japan
- Cellulose Society of Japan
- Fullerenes, Nanotubes and Graphene Research Society
- President, Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry, Chemical Society of Japan
- Member, Directive Committee, Asian Society for Colloid and Surface Science
- Member, Marine Open Innovation Project Strategy Promotion Committee, Shizuoka Prefecture
- Ordinary Member of Council, The International Association of Colloid and Interface Scientists
- Member, IMO Follow Underwater Noise Study Group, Japan Ship Technology Research Association
- Director, Biomimetics Network Japan
- Editorial Board, Accounts of Materials and Surface Research
- Editorial Board, Scientific Reports
- Editorial Board, Water: A Multidisciplinary Research Journal
- Vice President, Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry, Chemical Society of Japan
- Executive Committee Chair, The Okinawa Colloids 2019
- International Advisory Board, International Conference on Functional Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology (ICFNN-2017)
- International Advisory Board, Western Pacific Colloids Meeting 2015
- National Advisory Board, 6th Asian Conference on Colloid and Interface Science (ACCIS 2015)
- Member, Space Utilization Science Committee, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
- Member, Contents Committee, Society of Polymer Science, Japan
- Vice Secretary, International Association of Colloid and Interface Scientists Conference 2012 (IACIS 2012)
- Panelist, Nano-Risk-Net-Panel administered by Research Institute of Science for Safety and Sustainability, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- Member, Follow-Up Evaluation Committee, Chemotransfiguration Project, Japan Science and Technology Agency