|Available Position||JAMSTEC is recruiting 1 position as a Postdoctoral Researcher.|
|Recruiting Department||Application Laboratory (APL) Environmental Variability Prediction and Application Research Group (EVPARG)|
|Job Description||[Research Description]
- Assimilation of high-resolution satellite sea surface temperature data, including Himawari-8, into numerical ocean models and validation of the products
- Development of data provision system for users
<Relevant Research Fields>
Numerical ocean and climate modeling, data assimilation
Postdoctoral Researcher: To contribute to the project, a Postdoctoral Researcher should be able to independently conduct the research subject which is authorized by the Project under direction of a leader, and to be appointed intend to improve his/her research qualities.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the event of reorganization of the Agency.
*There is a possibility that the positions above could change.
|Requirements||Applicants are required to have been awarded or expect to have obtained a Ph.D. in a related field by the date of employment. In addition, no more than 5 years can have passed between the last day of the fiscal year in which the applicants obtained a Ph.D. and the date of employment.
*Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
|Work Place||Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama city, Kanagawa,
|Working Conditions & Contract Period||(1) Number of positions:
One position as a Postdoctoral Researcher
(2) Type of contract
(3) Working Hours
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period
Period of employment is from April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017.
*Appointment date is negotiable.
*1 contract period is a maximum of 1 fiscal year. The contract period can be renewed but the total contract period is a maximum of 3 fiscal years (until March 31, 2019) depending on the progress of the research.
*The contract period mentioned above will change according to budget of this project.
*In accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC, on reaching the age of 65 years during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
*This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
|Salary||Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments)
e.g., JPY 5,250,000
*There are no raise, bonus or retirement allowance.
|Terms of Employment||(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive a relocation allowance in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
(2) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by the current statute.
(4) The JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) Housing lease service is not available.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
a) A CV (1 copy). A valid email and home address must be provided.
*Please specify that you are applying for the “Postdoctoral Researcher” position.
b) A summary of your research (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page)
c) Your research plan at JAMSTEC (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page)
d) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles (1 copy)
*Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications (1 copy).
e) A list of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant (1 copy).
f) 2 (or fewer) representative publications (1 copy).
g) A letter of recommendation from a senior research scientist. The person providing the recommendation should send the letter directly to JAMSTEC by POST. The applicant’s name should be written on the envelope. Letters of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or JAMSTEC Visiting Scientist will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by POST and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. Documents in electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write “PERSONNEL, FY2016 APL Postdoctoral Researcher” (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application materials, followed by an interview. Currently, interviews are scheduled in February, 2016. The successful applicant is expected to join us on April 1, 2016.
*A travel allowance is available for applicants from abroad, but only under certain circumstances.
|Closing Date||January 12, 2016 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
*If there are fewer applications than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)||Yumi Fukui
Human Resources Division II, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa
TEL: +81-46-867-9583 FAX: +81-46-867-9095
(For inquiries by e-mail, please include “Personnel, FY2016 APL Postdoctoral Researcher ” in the title.)
|Remarks||(1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. |
(2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(3) The successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
(5) The above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(6) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
|Notes||The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC’s principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female researchers to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.