|Available Position & Research Topics||Subsurface Geobiology Advanced Research (SUGAR) project is seeking for a postdoctoral fellow who will mainly work for one of our research topics, 'Generation of electricity in the dark extremobiosphere and proof of incidence of electrotrophic microbial ecosystem'.
This research is supported by JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (No. 24244091).
For details of the research project, please visit the web page (http://www.jamstec.go.jp/biogeos/e/xbr/sugar/).
|Job Description||The goals are:
to find evidences of organic-compounds-production by electricity generated by hydrothermal vents,
to prove the incidence of 'Electrographic microbial ecosystem' in the dark extreme environments,
to cultivate the electroautotroph from the dark extreme environments,
to establish methods and technique for estimation of 'phototrophic vs chemotropic vs electrotrophic' energy and biomass production in the dark extreme environments.
|Requirements||Applicant is required to hold a Ph.D. degree in related field within five years prior to the date of employment, or expected to obtain a Ph.D. degree in related field by the date of employment.|
|Work Place||JAMSTEC Yokosuka Headquarters,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa 237-0061 JAPAN
|Working Conditions||1)Post : Postdoctoral Researcher
2)Type of contract: fixed term employee
3)Working hours: Discretionary labor system
Period of employment is from April 1st, 2013 to March 31st, 2014.
The employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the position, the progress of the research, and the research project funds.
The maximum total contract term is two Japanese fiscal years. (until March 31st, 2015)
|Salary||Salary will be decided in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws in annual salary system, by considering the candidate's academic career, research ability and research role in BioGeos. The expected salary will be as follows:
Postdoctoral Researcher: JPYJPY5,250,000/year
*No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
|Terms of Employment||1) On appointment, relocation fee will be provided in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws.
2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for health insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
4) Housing lease service is not available.
5) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and care and maternity leave.
6) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
|Application Procedure||(1)Required documents
a)One copy of a summary of research the applicant has been carried out. (A4 size, 1page)
b)One copy of your research plan in the project of JAMSTEC. (A4 size, 1page)
c)One recommendation letter written by a senior research scientist which should be sent directly from him/her by POST. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope. Reference letter written by JAMSTEC employee or Visiting Scientist cannot be accepted.
d)One copy of CV (a valid e-mail address is essential)
*Please specify that you are applying to "Postdoctoral Researcher" position
e)One copy of publication list including thesis titles. Please list publications in refereed journals separately from others.
f)Copies of two (or less) representative publications.
g)One copy of a list of competitive research funds awarded.
Required documents must be sent by POST and should reach to JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electric form will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, BioGeos SUGAR Postdoctoral Researcher" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment
Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduled in early January. The successful candidate is expected to join us from April 1st, 2013.
*The transportation fee is payable to candidates from abroad, but only under specific situations.
|Closing Date||January 4th, 2013 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)|
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Noriko Honda
Human Resources, Research Support Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: +81-46-867-9421 FAX: +81-46-867-9372
|Notes||1) Interviews and daily work will be conducted in English for non-Japanese speakers.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant.
3) Submitted documents will be managed strictly and safely. The personal information we receive through this recruitment will be used only for recruitment, screening or appointment procedures, and will not be used for other purposes.
4) Successful candidates should submit his/her health certificate upon appointment.
5) Withdrawal of application must be made by written notice.
6) Above conditions may be changed depending on the situation within the Agency.
7) Related information is available on the following web page (htt://www.jamstec.go.jp/e/)