|Available Position & Research Topics||Position: Technical Support Staff
Research Topic: One of the aims of our research program is to clarify the evolution of the mechanism that established relationships between host animals and chemosynthetic bacteria in deep-sea metazoans. We seek to do this via molecular biology with frequent field surveys and observing well-controlled laboratory cultures. For this task, we are seeking a Research Support Staff member assigned to the Marine Biodiversity Research Program, BioGeos, to support laboratory culture maintenance and molecular and genetic studies of chemosynthetic biology.
|Job Description||The following skills/experiments/analyses are required for population genetic studies of marine animals.
1) In field support sampling of deep-sea animals
2) Maintenance of environment controlled laboratory cultures with living deep-sea animals
3) DNA/RNA extractions from marine animal tissues and microbes
4) PCR amplification, cloning, and DNA sequencing
5) Analyses of DNA sequences
6) Support of gene expression profiling by in-situ hybridization
|Requirements||Applicant is required to be skilled in the following experiments/analyses for laboratory culture, molecular analyses and genetics of marine animals.
1) Laboratory cultures of marine biota for research purposes
2) Molecular biological analyses (DNA/RNA extractions, PCR amplifications, Transgenic procedures and in-situ hybridizations)
3) Genetic analyses by DNA sequencing using the Sanger method (especially with ABI3130/ABI3730)
*This position is open to all nationalities, genders and age groups.
*JAMSTEC's recruitment principles encourage gender equality for all staff members.
|Work Place||Yokosuka Headquarters,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa 237-0061 JAPAN
|Contract Period||Period of employment is from June 1st, 2013 to March 31st, 2014 (one Japanese fiscal year).
*Appointment date is negotiable.
*There is an annual performance evaluation.
*After the contract term, renewal may be considered with review of work performance and research project progress.
*The total contract term is a maximum of five Japanese fiscal years (until March 31st, 2018)
|Salary||Annual salary : JPY3,800,000~4,300,000.
*No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
*Salary will be competitive in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws, taking into consideration academic career, research ability and research role in BioGeos (annual salary system). Appointment level for the position will be determined by JAMSTEC after interviews have been conducted, based on discussions with the successful candidate.
|Terms of Employment||1) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
2) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
3) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
4) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents:
a) One copy of applicant's resume (contactable email address is essential).
b) List of employment history, including details of duties.
Required documents must be sent by POST and reach JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electronic format will NOT be accepted.
* Please write "PERSONNEL, Marine Biodiversity Research Program, BioGeos, Research Support Staff" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment:
Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduledin late March, 2013.
The successful candidate is expected to join us from June 1st, 2013.
|Closing Date||March 13th, 2013 (Application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date).|
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Masae Yoshida
Human Resources, Research Support Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: 81-46-867-9403 FAX: 81-46-967-9372
|Notes||1) Interviews and daily work will be conducted in English for non-Japanese speakers.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to applicant.
3) Submitted documents will be managed strictly and safely.
The personal information we receive through this recruitment will be used only for recruitment or screening or appointment procedures, and will not be used for other purposes.
4) Successful candidates should submit his/her health certificate upon appointment.
5) Withdrawal of application must be made by written notice.
6) Above conditions may be changed depending on the situation within the agency.
7) Related information is available on the following web page;