|Available Position||JAMSTEC will be recruiting a total of 1 position as a Postdoctoral Researcher|
|Recruiting Department||Department of Environmental Geochemical Cycle Research|
|Job Description||We are soliciting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on a project entitled,"Impact of short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs*) emitted from forest/wild fires on the environment and climate in the Arctic region"(Principal Investigator: Yugo Kanaya, June1,2015 to March 31,2018) one of the sub-themes of the "Impact of Asian air pollution and forest fires on the environment and climate in the Arctic region (2-1505)". The project is funded through SUISHIN-HI (Environment Research and Technology Development Fund) of the Ministry of the Environment (MOE).
*SLCPs include black carbon, tropospheric ozone, and methane etc., which are atmospheric pollutants that contribute to global warming. Related species can also be investigated.
Better estimate the impact of SLCPs emitted from forest/wild fires on the environment and climate in the Arctic region. One or more research topic(s) from the examples in the following list should be involved:
(1) Quantify the environmental impact of wildfires (forest/peat fires, particularly in Siberia) by improving estimations of burnt areas or other controlling parameters, or improving estimations of emission rates of SLCPs and related species (e.g., black carbon, carbon monoxide), using satellite remote-sensing data on land or atmospheric composition.
(2) Investigate the relationship between forest fire occurrence and climate variability.
(3) Elucidate long-range atmospheric transport processes and mechanisms from mid-latitudes to the Arctic region using atmospheric tracer transport models (e.g.,HYSPLIT,FLEXPART).
Note: This interdisciplinary research opportunity is designed to involve a collaboration with experts in research on atmospheric composition and land ecosystems.
<Related Research Fields>
Environmental sciences (e.g., atmospheric environment, biogeochemical cycles), Remote sensing (e.g., land or atmospheric composition), Chemistry (e.g., atmospheric chemistry, geochemistry, physical chemistry), Geophysics (e.g., meteorology, atmospheric physics), Ecology (e.g., forest ecology).
Postdoctoral Researcher: To contribute to the project, the postdoctoral researcher should be able to demonstrate the ability to conduct creative research independently under direction of leaders.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
*There is a possibility that the positions above could change.
|Requirements||Applicants are required to have been awarded a Ph.D. in a related field within 5 years prior to the date of employment, or they expect to obtain a Ph.D. in a related field by the date of employment.
*Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
*JAMSTEC follows the principle of the equality of men and women as it relates to all recruitment.
|Work Place||Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city,
Kanagawa, 236-0001, JAPAN
|Working Conditions & Contract Period||(1)Number of positions:
1 position for Postdoctoral Researcher
(2)Type of contract
Discretionary labor system
September 1 2015 to March 31, 2016.
The maximum contract period is one fiscal year, and the contract is renewable for a second and a third fiscal year (until March 31,2018).
*The contract period will start according to the approval of this project's budget, and end at the conclusion of this fund.
*Appointment date is negotiable.
*In accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
*This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
|Salary||Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments) is JPY 5,250,000.
*There are no bonus and retirement allowance.
|Terms of Employment||1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive a relocation allowance in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
2) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
3) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
4) Various subsidies are provided from the JAMSTEC employee cooperative for mutual aid and welfare services.
5) A housing lease service is not available.
6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year's holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
a) A CV. Valid email and home addresses must be provided. (1 copy)
b) A summary of your research (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page).
c) Your research plan at JAMSTEC (1 copy, A4 size, up to 6 pages; you may use diagrams if necessary).
d) Publication (achievement) list, including thesis titles (1 copy).
*Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications (1 copy).
e) A list of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant (1 copy).
f) 2 (or fewer) representative publications (1 copy).
g) A letter of recommendation from a senior research scientist. The person providing the recommendation should send the letter directly to JAMSTEC by POST. The applicant's name should be written on the envelope. Letter of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or JAMSTEC Visiting Scientist will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by POST and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. Documents in electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, Department of Environmental Geochemical Cycle Research, 2-1505(2) Postdoctoral Researcher" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended so that you may confirm receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application materials will receive a subsequent interview. Currently interviews are scheduled from the end of June, 2015 to the middle of July, 2015
The successful applicant will be expected to join us on September 1, 2015.
*A travel allowance is available for applicants from abroad, but only under certain circumstances.
|Closing Date||June 15, 2015 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)
*If there are fewer applications than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)||Naomi Tamada
Human Resources Division II, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
|Remarks||1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
3) The successful applicant will required to submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
5) The conditions above may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
6) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
|Note||The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female researchers to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.|