|Available Position||JAMSTEC is recruiting a total of 1 position as a Project Technical Support Staff.|
|Recruiting Department||Department of Environmental Geochemical Cycle Research|
|Job Description||We are soliciting applications for a Project Technical Support Staff to work on a project entitled, “Effective utilization of new satellite observations on air pollution at km-class spatial resolution for frontier science and policy on ozone and PM2.5 issues” (Principal Investigator Yugo Kanaya, November 5, 2015 to March 31, 2018). The project is funded by Coordination Funds for Promoting AeroSpace Utilization by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
Please refer to our website for details about Department of Environmental Geochemical Cycle Research and its research plan.
The successful applicant is expected to do the following:
(1) Collect and manage chemistry–climate model output and satellite data on atmospheric pollutants;
(2) Process data in HDF and NetCDF format using software such as FORTRAN, IDL, or PYTHON;
(3) Support to write reports of related meetings; and
(4) Assist with various research tasks.
<Related research fields>
Computer science, Statistics, Environmental science, Chemistry, Geophysics, Climate science, Meteorology, etc.
Project Technical Support Staff (Class 2):To support research in the project, the Project Technical Support Staff member is expected to perform tasks that require judgment and application, including jobs that require basic skills and knowledge.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
|Requirements||Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in the related fields, or possess equivalent skills and experience.
The applicants should have the following abilities, skills, and knowledge:
1. Data handling in a Linux environment.
2. Experience programming, such as in FORTRAN, IDL, R, PYTHON, etc.
3. Fundamental skills with a personal computer (e.g., Word, Power Point, and Excel)
*Experience handling environmental data is not required.
*Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
|Work Place||Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokohama Institute of Earth Science,
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city,
Kanagawa, 236-0001, Japan
|Working Conditions & Contract Period||(1)Number of positions:
1 position for a Project Technical Support Staff
(2)Type of contract
9:00-17:30 (Lunch hours 12:15-13:00)
June 1 2017 to March 31, 2018.
*Appointment date is negotiable.
*1 contract period is a maximum of 1 fiscal year. The contract period will not be renewed.
*The contract period mentioned above will change according to budget of this project.
*In accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws, on reaching the age of 60 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
*This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
|Salary||Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments) is JPY 3,300,000.
*Overtime payment will be added to monthly salary.
*There are no raise, bonus and retirement allowance.
|Terms of Employment||1) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
2) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
3) The JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
Various subsidies are provided from the JAMSTEC employee cooperative for mutual aid and welfare services.
4) A housing lease service is not available.
5) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year's holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
A CV (1 copy). Valid email and home address must be provided. Also Include details of your professional experiences in the CV.
The required documents must be sent by POST and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. Documents in electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, DEGCR AeroSpace Utilization" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application materials, followed by an interview. Currently interviews are scheduled in late April, 2017.
The successful applicant will be expected to join us on June 1, 2017.
|Closing Date||April 5, 2017 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)
*If there are fewer applications than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)||Human Resources Division Ⅱ,Human Resources Department, JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa
*Email address is adjusted for antispam. Please replace the [at] with @ when sending us emails.
*For inquiries by e-mail, please include "DEGCR AeroSpace Utilization " in the title.
|Remarks||1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants. |
2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
3) The successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
5) The above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
6) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
|Notes||The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC's principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.|