|Available Position||JAMSTEC is recruiting 1 position as a Project Engineer|
|Recruiting Department||Institute of Arctic Climate and Environment Research (IACE)|
|Job Description||IACE is soliciting applications for Project Engineer to work on a project entitled "Arctic Challenge for Sustainability Project (ArCS)" (FY2015-FY2019)", which is funded by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Technology (MEXT).
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
Japan's Arctic Policy, which was adopted by the Japanese Cabinet in October of 2015, outlines observations concerning, and research on, the Arctic from a comprehensive and wide-ranging perspective. Based on this policy, JAMSTEC is joining with the National Institute of Polar Research (NIPR) and Hokkaido University to play a key role in the Arctic region research project (ArCS), which is funded by MEXT. This project involves the performance of comprehensive research not only in the field of natural sciences but also in those of the humanities and social sciences to contribute to solving problems associated with the Arctic through cooperative efforts undertaken by JAMSTEC, NIPR, Hokkaido University and other related institutions.
Please visit the following website for additional information about ArCS:
FYI: Japan's Arctic Policy
The successful applicant will be required to perform study for ArCS theme 7, "People and Community in the Arctic" which is conducted by Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies(GSICS) at Kobe University, as a key member of our team, and to develop an international system for addressing issues concerning the Arctic based on the knowledge outcomes from ArCS theme 4, "Observational research on Arctic Ocean environmental changes" which is performed by JAMSTEC. The successful applicant will also be expected to work in cooperation with other institutions. The successful applicant will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
(1) Perform bibliographic surveys; conduct investigations in preparation for hearings and participate in the related sessions; and design domestic and international seminars to gather information concerning the marine environment, climate change, and conditions affecting the international community in the Arctic.
(2) Summarize the above information.
(3) Develop and visually represent procedures to facilitate cooperation with other institutions.
*The successful applicant will be expected to take domestic business trips several times each month.
(4) Provide the materials necessary for proposals regarding an international system to address issues related to the Arctic based on the aforementioned method.
(5) Support the preparation of presentation materials and other work in the department.
Natural Sciences (micro-plankton, ocean science, etc.), Humanities, and Social Sciences (policy, international politics, international law, etc.)
|Requirements||The successful applicant must have a master's degree in a closely related field. Those who have equivalent ability with extensive experience are also eligible.
The ability to communicate in both English and Japanese via e-mail, telephone, and in-person conversations.
The ability to create reports in English and Japanese and to organize publications in English and Japanese.
The ability to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and so on.
Experience with science communication or public relations is preferable.
*Please list your qualifications related to computers and outline other relevant skills on your CV.
*Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
|Work Place||Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa,
|Working Conditions & Contract Period||(1)Number of positions: 1position for a Project Engineer
(2)Type of contract: Fixed-term employee
(3) Working Hours: 9:00-17:30 (Lunch hours 12:15-13:00)
(4) Contract Period:
April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018.
*Appointment date is negotiable.
*1contract period is a maximum of 1 fiscal year.
*The contract period can be renewed but the total contract period is a maximum of 3 fiscal years (until March 31, 2020) depending on the progress of the research.
*The contract period mentioned above will change according to budget of this project.
*In accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC, on reaching the age of 65 years during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
*This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
|Salary||Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments)
e.g., JPY 3,900,000~
*Overtime payment will be added to monthly salary.
*Salary will be competitive in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC, based on the academic qualifications and demonstrated research skills of the applicant.
*There is no bonus and retirement allowance.
|Terms of Employment||(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive a relocation allowance in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
(2) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by the current statute.
(4) The JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) A housing lease service is available in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
a) A CV (1 copy). A valid email and home address must be provided. Also include details of your professional experiences in the CV.
*Please include contact information for 1 reference. This person should not be employee or Visiting Scientist of JAMSTEC.
b) Your research plan at JAMSTEC (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page).
*Please include the applicant's view on collaboration between natural sciences humanities and social sciences.
c) Certificate of English language skills ( such as TOEFL, IELTS, CET, etc. ) or Certificate of completion of study abroad.
**Please submit the following documents voluntarily;
5) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles (1 copy)
*Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications (1 copy).
6) A list of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant (1 copy).
7) 1 representative publication (1 copy).
The required documents must be sent by POST and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. Documents in electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, ArCS Project Engineer" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application materials, followed by an interview. Currently interviews are scheduled in the end of February or the early March, 2017.
The successful applicant will be expected to join us on April 1, 2017.
*A travel allowance is available for applicants from abroad, but only under certain circumstances.
|Closing Date||February 21, 2017 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)
*If there are fewer applications than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)||Naomi Tamada
Human Resources Division Ⅱ,Human Resources Department, JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa
(For inquiries by e-mail, please include “ArCS Project Engineer” in the title.)
|Remarks||1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants. |
2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
3) The successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
5) The above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
6) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
|Notes||The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC's principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.|