|Available Position & Research Topics||Available Position: KOCHI will be recruiting total of 1 position as Reserch Scientist.
We invite applicants for a Reserch Scientist position to engage in research and development of Science Service Group (and Geochemical Research Group concurrently).
The Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (Kochi, Japan) is a one of a research institution of Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) that provides scientific contributions to the advancement of academic research in addition to the improvement of marine science and technology by proceeding the fundamental research and development on marine, and the cooperative activities on the academic research related to the Ocean. In this way the JAMSTEC contributes towards a sustainable development for current and future generations. The Science Service Group and Geochemical Research Groups in the institute is offering a position for a research scientist for NanoSIMS ion imaging laboratory consisting of a NanoSIMS 50L, IMS-6F (will be installed soon) and a Hitachi SU1510 scanning electron microscopy.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist with a strong interest in multi-disciplinary research using two ion microprobes (NanoSIMS 50L and IMS-6F) in the field of geo/cosmo chemistry and geomicrobiology sciences. The candidate is very encouraged to develop own research project for two ion microprobes and to built up an own research profile.
He/She will work for day-to-day operation and service of NanoSIMS 50L and IMS-6F ion microprobes. This involves interactions with academic users to optimally develop research protocols required for different research projects. The high-potential candidate will apply and develop NanoSIMS methods for precise and accurate in situ elemental and isotopic measurements of complex materials including terrestrial, extraterrestrial and biology samples.
|Requirements||Candidates should have a Ph.D. in geosciences, cosmochemistry, material science, biology and technical experience in the use of SIMS and SEM/EMPA or similar instruments in the field of microanalysis. The candidate should be very motivated in developing research field for application of NanoSIMS and conventional SIMS for the variety of analysis of terrestrial, extraterrestrial and biology samples. We expect excellent communication skills, competence for teamwork, leadership and the ability to acquire third party funding in cooperation with other scientists. Excellent written and spoken English language skills are required|
|Work Place||Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (KOCHI),
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
200 Monobe Otsu, Nankoku, Kochi, 783-8502
(on Monobe campus of Kochi University)
|Salary||JPY 6,900,000~8,300,000 per year|
|Contract Period||Period of employment is from March 1st 2013 (the date is not fixed yet and negotiable) to March 31st, 2015.
*After the contract period above is expired, judging from the performance evaluation and work progress, the maximum contract term may extend until maximum period of March 31st, 2018 (Total of six fiscal years).
|Terms of Employment||1) On appointment, relocation fee will be provided in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws.
2) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
3) Housing lease service available.
4) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
5) No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
7) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
|Application Procedure||(1)Required documents
a) A copy of summary of your current and past research projects in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b) A copy of research proposal which you desire to participate in (A4 size, 1 page)
c) Two reference letters (recommendation) written by another senior research scientist, which should be sent directly from them by POST. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
d) A copy of a resume (CV). (contactable email address is essential)
e) A copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
f) A copy of a list for competitive research fund from some kind of research institution in Japan. (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, and etc)
Required documents must be sent by POST and be reached to JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, KOCHI Reserch Scientist" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3)Interview and Appointment
Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduled in January 2013.
|Closing date||December 28th, 2012 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)|
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Personnel Division, Administration Department, JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: 81-46-867-9011 FAX: 81-46-867-9025
1) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law and JAMSTEC regulations. After our screening and procedures, we will store the information of successful candidates as a personnel data, for other candidates, shred all the application documents.
3) Successful candidates should submit his/her health certificate upon appointment.
4) Withdrawal of application must be made by written notice.
5) Above conditions may be changed depending on the situation within the Agency.
6) Related information is available on the following web page