|Available Position||JAMSTEC is recruiting several positions for tenure-track Scientist or Technical Scientist.|
|Recruiting Department||Research and Development (R&D) Center for Ocean Drilling Science (ODS)|
|Job Description||Research and Development (R&D) Center for Ocean Drilling Science (ODS), JAMSTEC is soliciting applications for a few full-time TENURE-TRACK positions as Scientist or Technical Scientist. The successful applicants will be engaged in the third medium-term plan.
Details of the research at ODS can be found at
・Research and development on crustal dynamics and material circulation using information and samples derived from boreholes.
・Research and development on plate and magma generation and development.
・Research and development on the dynamics of Earth's interior using drilling science.
As members of ODS, the successful applicants will conduct research and development to create a new scientific field using information and samples derived from boreholes. ODS is pioneering research and development to establish the field of borehole informatics, a new scientific approach with the goal of understanding the dynamic nature of Earth phenomena by integrating various subsurface information.
<Related Research Fields>
Structural geology, geophysics, rock mechanics, geochemistry, information science, petrology, sedimentology, resource engineering, rock physics and other related fields.
|Job Type||Scientist: (The following descriptions (1 and 2) provide position names and definitions for the roles for which we are currently recruiting.)
To contribute to the Agency, a Scientist should be able to perform world-leading research independently and share the results through scientific publications.
(1) Senior Scientist: A Senior Scientist is expected to produce experimental results sufficient to play a leading role in the Agency’s research activities. In addition to this, the Senior Scientist is also expected to provide appropriate advice and produce sophisticated proposals to assist with decision-making in the assigned department.
(2) Scientist: A Scientist is expected to produce significant experimental results that contribute to the Agency’s research activity.
Technical Scientist: (The following descriptions (3 and 4) provide the position names and definitions for the roles that we are currently recruiting for.)
To contribute to the Agency, a Technical Scientist is expected to take a leading role in research, technology development, and technology innovation.
(3) Senior Technical Scientist: A Senior Technical Scientist is expected to produce significant research and technology that focuses on new elements to play a leading role in the Agency’s research and technology development. In addition to this, the Senior Technical Scientist is also expected to provide appropriate advice and make sophisticated proposals to assist with decision-making in the assigned department.
(4) Technical Scientist: A Technical Scientist is expected to produce results, research, and technology development that includes new elements and that support the Agency’s research and development activities.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
*At the time of hiring, the Job Type (Scientist or Technical Scientist) and the positions (1-4 above) will be determined in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
|Requirements||Scientist: The successful applicant must have a Ph.D. and a strong record in a closely related research field.
Technical Scientist: The successful applicant must have a Ph.D. and a strong record in a closely related research and development field.
*Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
|Work Place||Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama city, Kanagawa, 236-0001, JAPAN
|Working Conditions & Contract Period||(1) Number of positions:
Several positions as Scientist or Technical Scientist
(2) Type of contract
Tenure-track fixed-term employee
(3) Working Hours
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period
Period of employment is from July 1, 2017 to March 31, 2022.
*Appointment date is negotiable.
*One contract period is a maximum of five fiscal years. The contract period will not be renewed.
*In accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC, on reaching the age of 65 years during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
*After undergoing an evaluation during the period of employment, the contract may be modified to one without termination (termination of employment would be at the end of the fiscal year in which the employee reaches the age of 60, or the age of 65 if the employee is rehired after his/her retirement). For details on this system, please contact Human Resources Division II.
|Salary||Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments)
Senior Scientist/Senior Technical Scientist: JPY 7,500,000
Scientist/Technical Scientist: JPY 6,000,000
*Salary will be competitive in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC, based on the academic qualifications and demonstrated research skills of the applicant.
*There is no bonus or retirement allowance.
|Terms of Employment||(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive a relocation allowance in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
(2) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by the current statute.
(4) The JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) A housing lease service is available in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
a) A CV (1 copy). A valid email and home address must be provided.
*Please include contact information for two references. These persons should be someone other than the person mentioned in g) below and should not be employees or Visiting Scientists of JAMSTEC.
b) A summary of your research (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page)
c) Your research plan at JAMSTEC (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page)
d) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles (1 copy)
*Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications (1 copy).
e) A list of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant (1 copy).
*If you have not been awarded any, include "none" in the list.
f) 2 (or fewer) representative publications (1 copy).
g) 2 letters of recommendation from two senior research scientist (1 letter from each). The person providing the recommendation should send the letter directly to JAMSTEC by POST. The applicant’s name should be written on the envelope. Letters of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or JAMSTEC Visiting Scientist will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by POST and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. Documents in electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write “PERSONNEL, FY2017 Fixed-term employee , ODS” (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application materials, followed by an interview. Currently, interviews are scheduled in March or April, 2017. The successful applicant is expected to join us on July 1, 2017.
*A travel allowance is available for applicants from abroad, but only under certain circumstances.
|Closing Date||February 3, 2017 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
*If there are fewer applications than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)||Hanako Ihara
Human Resources Division II, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa
TEL: +81-46-867-9415 FAX: +81-46-867-9095
(For inquiries by e-mail, please include “Recruitment for FY2017 Fixed-term employee, ODS” in the title.)
|Remarks||(1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. |
(2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(3) The successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
(5) The above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(6) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
|Notes||The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC’s principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female researchers to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.|