|Available Position & Research Topics||The Terrestrial Ecosystem Research Team of Environmental Biogeochemical Cycle Research Program of Research Institute for Global Change solicits Postdoctoral Researcher to engage in the Environment Research and Technology Development Fund (theme ID: F-1101) supported by the Ministry of the Environment (MOE). The reserch theme is "Study on ecosystem function over extensive regions by remote sensing" which is one of five sub-themes of "Developement of method of ecosystem service evaluation for the strategy against climate change and biodiversity conservation."
A Postdoctoral Researcher will involve in following research activities:
(1) Estimation algorithm development of vegetation physical parameters (leaf area index, above-ground biomass, structure etc.) by remote sensing over some regions in Japan and tropic regions in Eastern Asia.
(2) Classification of land cover from various view points and the mapping by satellite remote sensing over some regions in Japan and tropic regions in Asia
(3) Evaluation of ecosystem service/function based on the result of (1) and (2).
* Applicant are expected to use an image process application software, GIS, and/or coding language (i.e. FORTRAN etc.).
|Requirements||1) Candidates must have a Ph.D in related field. Advanced knowledge in remote sensing and the mapping are required. Also, applicants must be within five years since awarded a Ph.D. at the time of appointment.
2) Any nationality, any sex, and any age could be applied. JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
Yokohama Institute for Earth Science (YES),
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku,
Yokohama City, Kanagawa, 236-0001 Japan
|Contract Period||Period of employment is from September 1st, 2011 to March 31st, 2012. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the progress of research and research project, but maximum for twice (until March 31st 2014) .|
|Salary||JPY438,000 per month (Annual salary: JPY 5,256,000)|
|Terms of Employment||1) Travel allowance will be provided in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws.
2) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
3) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
4) No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
5) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
6) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
a) One copy of research proposal that demonstrates your skill and intention regarding the research activities in JAMSTEC (A4 size, 1 page)
b) A reference (recommendation) letter written by a senior research scientist, which should be sent directly from him/her by POST. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c) One copy of a CV. (a valid email address is essential)
d) One copy of publication list including thesis titles. Please separate those with peer-reviewed journals from other publications.
e) One copy of a list for competitive research fund from some kind of research institution in Japan. (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc.)
Required documents must be sent by POST and reach JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electronic format will NOT be accepted. *Please write "PERSONNEL, RIGC(F-1101)" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment
Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduled in early August 2011. The successful candidates are expected to join us from September 1st. 2011, but the appointment date is negotiable.
|Closing date||July 29th, 2011 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)|
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Yumiko Watabe
Human Resources, Research Support Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: 81-46-867-9598 FAX: 81-46-967-9372