|Available Position & Research Topics||As part of the new Ministry of Environment project, "Integrated Climate Assessment - Risks, Uncertainties and Society" (ICA-RUS), we have a position available on quantifying uncertainty and risks due to climate change on the centennial time scale and longer, especially relating to irreversibility and abrupt climate change. Within this remit, the research to be undertaken is largely open ended, but is expected to use output from the the CMIP5 multi-model ensemble combined with other tools, such as intermediate complexity models and statistical methods, and data from any time period.
*The employment contract of this research project is supported by the budget of externally-funded research project.
Please refer to the JAMSTEC Website for the details of GCPRP and RIGC:
(1)The applicant should hold a Ph.D. degree in climate science or a related discipline.
a)Postdoctoral Researcher: A scientist holding a Ph.D degree gained within the last 5 years.
b)Project Scientist: A scientist with more experience (3-5 years, or more) may be employed at this higher level.
(2) The applicant should be able to demonstrate ability in conducting independent and imaginative research.
(3) Some knowledge of statistics and competence in mathematics is required.
(4)Fluency in English, written and spoken is required.
(5)Familiarity with running and analysing output from climate models will be advantageous.
(6)Ability in reading and writing Japanese is advantageous, but not a requirement.
* The employee may be of any nationality, sex, or age.
* JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
|Work Place||Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25, Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city, Kanagawa 236-0001 JAPAN
|Contract Period||Period of employment is from October 1st, 2012 to March 31st, 2013. (one Japanese fiscal year)
*The Appointment date is negotiable.
*The initial period of employment is from October 1st, 2012 to March 31st, 2013 (one Japanese fiscal year). The employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the position, the progress of the research, and the research project funds.
*The maximum total contract term is as follows:
Postdoctral Researcher: Three Japanese fiscal years (until March 31st, 2015). There is the possibility of application for extension until March 2017, depending on research progress, and in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
Project Scientist: Five Japanese fiscal years. (until March 31st, 2017)
Postdoctoral Researcher: in the region of JPY 5,256,000
Project Scientist: in the region of JPY 5,772,000
* No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
*Salary will be competitive in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws
|Terms of Employment||1) Relocation fee will be provided in accordance with JAMSTECís bylaws.
2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
4) Housing lease service is not available for a Postdoctoral Researcher, but is available for a Project scientist position.
5) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
6) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
|Application Procedure||(1) Required documents
a) One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b) A reference (recommendation) letter written by a senior research scientist, which should be sent directly from them by post. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c) One copy of a resume. (a valid email address is essential)
d) One copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e) Copies of two (or less) representative publications.
f) One copy of a list for competitive research fund from some kind of research institution in Japan. (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Required documents must be sent by POST and reach JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electronic format will not be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, PMRT in GCPRP, RIGC" on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment
Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduled in late August, 2012.
The successful candidates are expected to join us from October 1st, 2012, but the appointment date is negotiable.
|Closing date||August 13th, 2012 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)|
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Mikiko Tanioka
Human Resources, Research Support Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: 81-46-867-9598 FAX: 81-46-867-9372