|Available Position & Research Topics||Available Position: RIGC will be recruiting total of 1 position as Scientist.
We invite applicants for a Scientist position to engage in research and development of the Ocean Climate Change Program (OCCRP).
|Job Description||The research in Ocean Climate Change Research Program of RIGC aims to understand the role of the oceans to climate change. For this purpose we deploy Argo floats, which drift in the mid-layer of the ocean and surface periodically, to measure and automatically transmit oceanographic data. We also conduct basin-scale repeat hydrography using research vessels, to obtain high-quality physical and chemical parameters along trans-oceanic sections. We also deploy mooring buoys, to measure heat flux between atmosphere and ocean in the Kuroshio Extension region. Research is also in progress on a dynamically consistent data assimilation technique that integrates these observational data with the results of numerical simulations. We aim to elucidate the distribution and temporal changes in heat and chemical materials such as carbon dioxide in the oceans through these activities.
We invite applicants for a Scientist position who engage in oceanographic/atmospheric research and development on the research program.
For details of each programs,
please visit our insitute's website at http://www.jamstec.go.jp/rigc/e/
*There may be change in affiliation in case of reorganization in the Agency.
|Requirements||Applicants must have a Ph.D. in closely related field. Expected to achieve outstanding research results.
*Relevant research fields Applied Oceanics, Physical Oceanography, Aerography, Chemistry, Computer Science
* Any nationality, any sex, and any age could be applied.
* JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa 237-0061 JAPAN
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama City, Kanagawa, 236-0001 JAPAN
|Working Condition and Contract Period||Period of employment is from April 1st, 2013 to March 31, 2018
*One contract period is maximum five fiscal years, and the contract is NOT renewable. Screening to promote to Senior Scientist is available before the contract expires.
Employment Status: fixed term system, Discretionaly labor system
|Salary||Salary will be competitive in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws, by considering academic career, research ability and research role in RIGC (annual salary system). Appointment level for positions will be determined by JAMSTEC after the interview based upon the discussion with the successful candidates.
e.g. Annual salary JPY 5,900,000 or more
|Terms of Employment||1) On appointment, relocation fee will be provided in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws.
2) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
3) Housing lease service is available.
4) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
5) No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
7) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
|Application Procedure||(1)Required documents
a) One copy of research proposal including the research program which you had been engaged in. (A4 size, 1page)
b) One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1page)
c) One reference (recommendation) letters written by a senior research scientist which should be sent directly from them by POST. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
Reference letter written by JAMSTEC employee or Visiting Scientist cannot be accepted.
d) One copy of a CV. (a valid email address is essential)
*Please specify that you are applying to "Scientist".
e) One copy of publication list including thesis titles. Please separate those from referred journals from other publications.
f) Copies of two (or less) representative publications.
g) One copy of a list of competitive research fund, if any ex. Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research,any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, or any other project research fund (both inside/out of Japan).
Required documents must be sent by POST and reach JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, OCCRP RIGC" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduled in the middle of November 2012. The successful candidates are expected to join us from April 1st, 2013.
*The transportation fee is payable to candidates from abroad, but only under specific situations.
|Closing date||October 15th, 2012 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)
*If the total number of application is less than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Mikiko Tanioka
Human Resources, Research Support Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: 81-46-867-9598 FAX: 81-46-867-9372
1) Interviews and daily work will be conducted in English for non-Japanese speakers.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to applicant.
3) Submitted documents will be managed strictly and safely.
The personal information we receive through this recruitment will be used only for recruitment or screening or appointment procedures, and will not be used for other purposes. 4) Successful candidates should submit his/her health certificate upon appointment.
5) Withdrawal of application must be made by written notice.
6) Above conditions may be changed depending on the situation within the agency.
7) Related information is available on the following web page;