|Available Position & Research Topics||Available Positions: Paleo-climate Modeling Research Team (PMRT) in Global Change Projection Research Program (GCPRP), RIGC will be recruiting total of 1 position as Postdoctoral Researcher.|
|Job Description||The main job is to investigate the mechanism of climate change and variability of the past through numerical experiments and data analysis using paleoclimate models developed in the team. The models are the atmosphere-ocean coupled model (MIROC-GCM), the earth system model (MIROC-ESM), ice sheet model (IcIES), carbon cycle model and so on.
For details of each programs, please visit our insitute's website at
For the contribution to the Agency, the applicant should be able to demonstrate ability in conducting independent and imaginative research.
*There may be change in affiliation in case of reorganization in the Agency.
|Requirements||Applicant is required to hold a Ph.D. degree in related field within five years prior to the date of employment, or expected to obtain a Ph.D. degree in related field by the date of employment.
*Relevant research fields Geophysics, Meteorology, Climatology, Glaciology, Applied Oceanography, Physical Oceanography, Chemistry, Computer Science.
* Any nationality, any sex, and any age could be applied.
* JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
|Work Place|| Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama City, Kanagawa, 236-0001 JAPAN
|Working Condition and Contract Period||Period of employment is from April 1st, 2013 to March 31, 2014 (one fiscal years) and the contract can be renewed twice (The total contract term is maximum three fiscal years).
Employment Status: fixed term system, Discretionaly labor system
|Salary||Salary will be competitive in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws, by considering academic career, research ability and research role in RIGC (annual salary system). Appointment level for positions will be determined by JAMSTEC after the interview based upon the discussion with the successful candidates.
e.g. Annual salary JPY 5,250,000
|Terms of Employment||1) On appointment, relocation fee will be provided in accordance with JAMSTEC's bylaws.
2) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
3) Housing lease service is not available.
4) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
5) No bonus/retirement allowance provided.
6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, year-end and beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, and leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
7) Other: There are various kinds of subsidies available for personal interests/welfare provided by JAMSTEC's employees' cooperative.
|Application Procedure||(1)Required documents:
a) One copy of research proposal including the research program which you had been engaged in. (A4 size, 1page)
b) One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
c) One reference (recommendation) letters written by a senior research scientist, which should be sent directly from them by POST. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope. *Reference letter written by JAMSTEC employee or Visiting Scientist cannot be accepted.
d) One copy of a CV. (a valid email address is essential)
*Please specify that you are applying to " Postdoctoral Researcher".
e) One copy of publication list including thesis titles. Please separate those from referred journals from other publications.
f) Copies of two (or less) representative publications.
g) One copy of a list for competitive research fund from some kind of research institution in Japan, if any. (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Required documents must be sent by POST and reach JAMSTEC before/on the closing date. Electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, PMRT, RIGC" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended for confirming the receipt of your application (no acknowledgement will be provided).
(3) Interview and Appointment Candidates will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview currently scheduled in the middle of December 2012.
The successful candidates are expected to join us from April 1st, 2013.
*The transportation fee is payable to candidates from abroad, but only under specific situations.
|Closing date||November 15th, 2012 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date)
*If the total number of application is less than expected, the closing date may be extended.
|Contact (application documents must send to this address)||Mikiko Tanioka
Human Resources, Research Support Dept., JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
TEL: 81-46-867-9598 FAX: 81-46-867-9372
|Notes||1) Interviews and daily work will be conducted in English for non-Japanese speakers.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to applicant.
3) Submitted documents will be managed strictly and safely.
The personal information we receive through this recruitment will be used only for recruitment or screening or appointment procedures, and will not be used for other purposes.
4) Successful candidates should submit his/her health certificate upon appointment.
5) Withdrawal of application must be made by written notice.
6) Above conditions may be changed depending on the situation within the agency.
7) Related information is available on the following web page;