Basic Policies on the Handling of Data and Samples by Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
May 16, 2007
- 1. Purposes
- This Basic Policies refers to the handling and scientific and educational use of the various kinds of Data and Samples obtained by the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (hereinafter called “JAMSTEC”) as the result of its scientific research and development.
JAMSTEC considers the Earth as a unique system that is largely influenced by the Ocean and is involved in a wide scope of fundamental research and development. Further, JAMSTEC aims to contribute to the sustainable advancement of the human community as well as the systematization and expansion of knowledge through public relations, the dissemination of research results and related education activities.
JAMSTEC possesses a large number of leading-edge facilities and equipment and has obtained Data and Samples of extremely high academic value. These Data and Samples are the common property of the human community, and it is important that they are made open for research and educational purposes and be available for use into the future on a global basis. JAMSTEC believes it is one of its most important missions to store these valuable Data and Samples for a long period of time and provide them in an easily accessible manner.
- 2. Definition of Data and Samples
- The Data and Samples mentioned herein refer to those obtained through the use of JAMSTEC facilities and equipment or those derived from such operations.
In specific terms, the data refer to the research and observation data, simulation data, graphic images (including moving images, still images and photographs), and figures and any other kind of information obtained through research and study and any recording media thereof. Samples refer to the specimens obtained from the research and study including living organisms, sediments, rocks and seawater.
- 3. Ownership of Data and Samples
- The Data and Samples obtained through the use of JAMSTEC facilities and equipment belong to JAMSTEC, except for the instances where specific agreements are made.
- 4. Management, Storage and Use of Data and Samples
- JAMSTEC will properly manage and store the Data and Samples for use by research organizations and researchers for scientific and educational purposes, and try to provide them promptly and smoothly. JAMSTEC will promote the industrial use of the Data and Samples in an effort to return the benefits to the citizens.
- 5. Handling of Data and Samples as Intellectual Property
- Some of the Data and Samples must be protected as intellectual properties, which will be identified by JAMSTEC whenever applicable.
The intellectual properties have socio-economic as well as scientific value that should be transferred to society in an appropriate manner. In accordance with its “Basic idea for Intellectual Properties of JAMSTEC,” JAMSTEC will promote appropriate use and management of the Data and Samples identified as intellectual properties.
- 6. Publication of Data and Samples
- The Data and Samples not identified as intellectual properties will be publicized as mentioned below.
- Publication Moratorium Period of Data and Samples
The scientists who have obtained Data and Samples will be entitled to priority use of such Data and Samples for a period needed to prepare their research results (scientific papers and articles, etc.) including processing (calibrations, quality controls, etc.) of the Data and Samples necessary for publication. Upon expiration of their publication moratorium period, JAMSTEC will publicize the Data and Samples promptly.
- Method of Provision of Data and Samples
JAMSTEC will provide the information on the Data and Samples in an easily accessible manner, and will try to satisfy the needs and requirements of users.
- Pricing Policies of Data and Samples
The Data and Samples belonging to JAMSTEC will be available free of charge for scientific and educational uses in principle except for the actual providing costs. Industrial uses of Data and Samples will be subject to be charged appropriately in principle and they will be depending on the nature of the use.
- 7. Disposal of Data and Samples
- JAMSTEC will be entitled to dispose of (destroy or transfer) at its own discretion any Data and Samples deemed unworthy of storage or management, or those beyond a reasonable period of storage or management.
JAMSTEC will prepare proper rules and regulations to implement the basic policies mentioned above, and request the scientists to use JAMSTEC facilities and equipment in a manner that adheres to the rules and regulations.