Library (Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences)
- The special library is located in the Earth Science Museum at the Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences. The library’s collections include general books, children’s books, and scientific journals as well as books authored by JAMSTEC researchers and technicians. Many of them are related to the ocean and earth sciences and written in Japanese. Visitors also can find audiovisual materials including videos of past open seminars.
- The library is open at 10:00 am - 5:00 pm from Monday through Friday and at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm on the third Saturday of each month.
- The library is closed on Saturdays (except the third Saturday of each month), Sundays, national holidays, and New Year holidays.
- 3173-25, Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city, Kanagawa, 236-0001, Japan
- General information
- You can freely browse any library materials.
Some materials such as the journals, reference books, dictionaries, and audiovisual materials can be used only in the library.
Access to the library area on the third floor is restricted to JAMSTEC personnel only. If you want to browse materials on the third floor, please feel free to ask a librarian on the second floor.
- If you want to photocopy library materials, please ask a librarian. This fee-based service is provided in compliance with the Copyright Act of Japan.
Black and white: ¥35 per sheet
Color: ¥100 per sheet
* Some materials cannot be photocopied.
** There is no self-service copying machine in the library.
*** If you want to receive photocopies of library materials by post, you can use the interlibrary loan service. Please make a request to your local library.
- Borrowing and returning
- You can borrow up to 3 books at a time for one month. Some books can be used only in the library.
Please fill in a form at the counter to borrow books. Your contact information is essential for further communication with librarians.
Please return books to the library counter or by post by the due date. In the latter case, please obtain a proof of posting, and you are responsible for any shipping expenses.
- Reference service
- Please feel free to ask librarians for help when you cannot find information you want.
- Please handle library materials with great care.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the library.
- Please refrain from talking on cell phones in the library.
- Please do not leave valuables unattended in the library.
- Please note that all pre-school children must be accompanied by an adult for safety reasons.
- Please return borrowed books by the due date. If your book is overdue, the library sends you an overdue reminder. You cannot borrow books if you have overdue books.
- If you lose or damage a library item, please contact the library immediately. You may be responsible for replacing the lost or damaged item.
- Personal information collected will be handled in accordance with JAMSTEC’s Basic Policy on the Protection of Personal Information, and will not be used for any other purposes.