Recruitment for Research Scientist for Global Change Projection Research Program (GCPRP) in the Research Institute for Global Change, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) will be as follows.
Please see our homepage: http://www.jamstec.go.jp/e/about/research/global_change.html
for details about the Research Institute for Global Change.
This program investigates the projection of global change by developing an integrated earth system model (ESM) that includes explicit representations of biogeochemistry such as climate carbon-cycle feedback and atmospheric chemistry-aerosol interactions. It is aimed that simulation results with the ESM contribute to the next assessment report of IPCC. We also consider that it is an important contribution to publish data obtained through global warming simulations including ones by the ESM in an appropriate form, in order for the data to be utilized by researchers in related fields investigating impacts of the global warming.
This position is funded through Theme S-5 of the Global Environmental Research Fund by Ministry of Environment (MOE).
With this announcement, we seek a Research Scientist engaged in activities as follows: to maintain domestic server as a part of an international system for storing and publishing global warming projection data; to install applications on the server and deal with questions from users in order for the server to be user-friendly.
1) Applicants should have experiences in the field of information technology and desirably be familiar with terms used in earth sciences. The successful candidate is to work on dealing with large datasets of hundreds of terabytes and simulations data stored in formats developed for meteorology and oceanography such as netCDF.
2) Any nationality, any gender, and any age could be applied. JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
Research Institute for Global Change,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa,
Yokohama 236-0001, Japan
Period of employment is from October 1st (or as early as possible after October 1st), 2009, to March 31st, 2010. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the progress of research. (Maximum of three fiscal years, until the end of Theme S-5 of the Global Environment Research Fund, MOE.)
(1) Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) Housing lease service is available through the JAMSTEC housing scheme. Eligibility for the housing scheme is subject to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b. References (recommendations) written by a senior research scientist.
The references should be sent directly from them to Human Resources, Research Support Division I, Research Support Department.
Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN.
(Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology,
Human Resources, Research Support Division I
Research Support Department
Ms. Hanako Ihara
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city,
Kanagawa 237-0061, Japan
August 14th, 2009 (The application documents must arrive at the Research Support Division I office by this date)
1) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
2) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Research Support Division I Office, Human Resources (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) See above mentioned (3) in "Method of application".
Related information is available on the following home page URL:
*JAMSTEC is an organization granted for KAKENHI (Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research)