Recruitment for Scientist for Global Warming Projection Research Project for Contribution to AR5 of IPCC in the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) will be as follows.
Please see our homepage: http://www.jamstec.go.jp/e/about/research/global_change.html
Global Warming Projection Research Project for Contribution to AR5 of IPCC, JAMSTEC, is planning to hire one Scientist in the area of earth system science using the ESM (earth system model) that the program has been developing. This research position is funded by Innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century, MEXT. Particular areas of researches are as follows:
(1) Interactions between global carbon cycle and climate change. Knowledge on oceanic carbon cycle is desirable.
(2) Interactions among component models incorporated in the ESM, e.g., feedback processes between biological activities and non-CO2 greenhouse gasses.
(3) Improvements of MIROC, the physical parts of the ESM.
1) Applicants should have a Ph.D. or research skill of a similar level in Geophysics or a closely related field. A candidate is to work in the field of R&D, such as development of simulation model, arrangement of data, and should desirably have experiences in climate modeling and numerical experiments by using climate models. Successful candidate will be hired as a research scientist.
2) Any nationality, any gender, and any age could be applied. JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
Research Institute for Global Change,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa, Yokohama 236-0001, Japan
Period of employment is from October 1st (or as early as possible after October 1st), 2009, to March 31, 2010. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the progress of research. (Maximum of three fiscal years, until the end of Innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century, MEXT.)
(1) Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) Housing lease service is available through the JAMSTEC housing scheme. Eligibility for the housing scheme is subject to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b. References (recommendations) written by a senior research scientist.
The references should be sent directly from them to Human Resources, Research Support Division I, Research Support Department. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN.
(Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology,
Human Resources, Research Support Division I
Research Support Department
Ms. Hanako Ihara
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city,
Kanagawa 237-0061, Japan
August 14th, 2009 (The application documents must arrive at the Research Support Division I office by this date)
1) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
2) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Research Support Division I Office, Human Resources (e-mail: email@example.com) See above mentioned (3) in "Method of application".
Related information is available on the following home page URL:
*JAMSTEC is an organization granted for KAKENHI (Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research)