Recruitment for Postdoctoral Researcher for Global Warming Research Project for IPCC AR5 in the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) will be as follows.
Please see our homepage for the details:
Global Warming Research Project for IPCC AR5, JAMSTEC, is planning to hire one Scientist in the area of decadal climate prediction by state-of-art climate models initialized with historical atmospheric and oceanic observations under the global warming condition. This research position is funded by Innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century, MEXT. Particular areas of researches are as follows:
(1) Climate model improvement or model initialization by ensemble data assimilation. Computer programming and data processing skills are desirable as well as knowledge on climate model, observation, and data assimilation.
(2) Understanding of decadal climate variation through analyses of model outputs and observed data: mechanism and predictability of decadal climate variation including reproducibility of past decadal changes and feasibility of climate prediction in climate model experiments.
1) Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Geophysics or a closely related field. A candidate is to work in the field of R&D, such as development of simulation model, arrangement of data, and should desirably have experiences in climate modeling and data assimilation experiments. Successful candidate will be hired as a Postdoctoral Researcher.
2) Any nationality, any sex, and any age could be applied. JAMSTEC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
Research Institute for Global Change,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
Period of employment is from November 1st (or as early as possible after November 1st), 2009, to March 31, 2010. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the progress of research. (Maximum of three fiscal years, until the end of Innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century, MEXT.)
(1) Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) Housing lease service is not available.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b. References (recommendations) written by a senior research scientist.
The references should be sent directly from them to Human Resources, Research Support Division I, Research Support Department. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN.
(Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Human Resources, Research Support Division I
Research Support Department
Ms. Hanako Ihara
2-15 Natsushima-Cho, Yokosuka-city, Kanagawa
Please write "IPCC Postdoctoral Researcher position" on the envelope.
Sep. 18th, 2009 (The application documents must arrive at the Research Support Division I office by this date)
1) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
2) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Research Support Division I Office, Human Resources (e-mail: email@example.com) See above mentioned (3) in "Method of application".
Related information is available on the following home page URL:
*JAMSTEC is an organization granted for KAKENHI (Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research)