In the Frontier Research Center for Global Change (FRCGC), Global Environment Modeling Research Program (GEMRP) the additional recruitment will be as follows.
Please see our homepage: for details about FRCGC, GEMRP.
Global changes, such as global warming and climatic anomalies, are serious problems which affect the ecosystem of nature and the future of human beings. Predicting global change through better understanding of these global phenomena are pressing issues. At FRCGC we attempt to understand the complicated interactions among the atmosphere, ocean and land surface and to develop models capable of more accurate simulation of global scale phenomena. To accomplish these objectives, we propose the following research assignments, and invite excellent foreign as well as Japanese Research Scientists for an intensive period of research.
Global Environmental Modeling Research Program (GEMRP) of Frontier Research Center for Global Change (FRCGC) is planning to hire one Research Scientist in the area of earth system science using the ESM (earth system model) that GEMRP has been developing. This research position is funded by Innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century, MEXT. Particular areas of researches are as follows:
(1) Interactions between global carbon cycle and climate change. Knowledge on oceanic carbon cycle is desirable.
(2) Interactions among component models incorporated in the ESM, e.g., feedback processes between biological activities and non-CO2 greenhouse gasses.
(3) Improvements of MIROC, the physical parts of the ESM.
Qualification for application
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Geophysics or closely related field. Candidates should also have expertise in numerical modeling and research experiment by using numerical models.
Please note that after April 1st, 2009, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology will be reorganizing the Agency. Although there will not be any changes in the content or the method of the research, systematic subjects, such as affiliation may change.
Any nationality, any gender, and any age could be applied. FRCGC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff.
Frontier Research Center for Global Change,
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
Period of employment is from April 1st, 2009, to March 31, 2010. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the progress of research. (Maximum of three years, until the end of Innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century, MEXT.)
(1) Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) Housing lease service is available through the JAMSTEC housing scheme. Eligibility for the housing scheme is subject to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b. References (recommendations) written by a senior research scientist. The references should be sent directly from them to Research Promotion Office, Frontier Research Center for Global Change Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of publication list including thesis titles. Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN. (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Frontier Research Center for Global Change
FRCGC Promotion Office, Human Resources
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
February, 27th, 2009 (The application documents must arrive at the Promotion office by this date)
1) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
2) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Frontier Research Promotion Office, Human Resources (e-mail: email@example.com) See above mentioned (3) in "Method of application".
Related information is available on the following home page URL:
*JAMSTEC is an organization granted for KAKENHI (Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research)