Recruitment for Postdoctoral Researcher etc for Ecosystem Change Research Program (ECRP) in Frontier Research Center for Global Change (FRCGC) will be as follows. Please see our website for details about the FRCGC and ECRP.
The Ecosystem Change Research Program of FRCGC of JAMSTEC seeks an improved understanding of how terrestrial and ocean ecosystems respond to global climate change and other environmental variations. The research emphasizes the spatial and temporal patterns of the terrestrial ecosystem structure and functioning, including biomass and net primary production, across a broad climatic gradient in the global area. We invite applications for the position of postdoctoral researcher or technical scientist in the area of terrestrial vegetation remote sensing and modeling for understanding the terrestrial vegetation dynamics.
<Postdoctoral Researcher> Candidates are expected to have doctor degree(s) in a related field and within 5 years since the end of fiscal year (March 31) of their latest acquisition of the doctor degree (i.e. qualified as the doctor after April 1st, 2004). Candidates are expected to have research experiences in the satellite observation of terrestrial vegetation change and related modeling. Candidates who have experiences of field work are hoped.
<Technical Scientist> Candidates are expected to have experiences in the satellite data process and the related field surveys over land areas in terms of ecosystem studies.
Please note that after April 1st, 2009, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology will be reorganizing the Agency. Although there will not be any changes in the content or the method of the research, systematic subjects, such as affiliation may change.
FRCGC is an equal employment employer. We invite applications both female and male scientists.
Frontier Research Center for Global Change,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
Kanazawa-ku Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
In principle, maximum contract term of each position will be as follows;
<Postdoctora Researcherl> Three Japanese fiscal years, and the contract is updated every fiscal year.
<Technical Scientist> Three Japanese fiscal years, and the contract can be renewed once (The total contract term is six Japanese fiscal years). A new contract term will be concluded, if the person passes the screening to stay the same position or to be promoted.
(1) Annual salary
Postdoctoral Researcher: 5,250,000 yen
Technical Scientist:5,000,000~6,000,000 yen.
Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) No housing lease service is available.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of the vision of your research activities etc in FRCGC (A4 size, 1 page). Write which position, postdoctoral researcher or technical scientist, you apply.
b. Reference (recommendation) letters written by two senior research scientists. The letters should be sent directly from them to Research Promotion Office, Frontier Research Center for Global Change. Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of the list of publications (including author(s), year, title, journal (book), volume, and pages (doi)), and oral/poster presentations at scientific meetings (including author(s), year, title, and meeting name). Please separate those with peer-reviewed papers from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN. (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Frontier Research Center for Global Change
FRCGC Promotion Office, Human Resources
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
27th, February, 2009 (application must arrive by this date)
(1) One applicant will be recruited by this recruitment.
(2) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
(3) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
(1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
(2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
(3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
(4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Frontier Research Promotion Office, Human Resources (e-mail: email@example.com) See above mentioned "Method of application". Related information is available on the following home page URL: