In the Frontier Research Center for Global Change (FRCGC), Climate Variations Research Program(CVRP) the additional recruitment will be as follows. Please see our website for details about the FRCGC and GVRP.
Climate Variations Research Program (CVRP) at FRCGC is promoting process studies of natural climate variations and predictability studies using various atmospheric, oceanic, and coupled models. In collaboration with newly introduced Application Laboratory (APL), we also emphasize application studies in which we seek societal needs for our climate/ocean predictions. With FY 2009 to mark the start of a new phase of researches, our mother institution JAMSTEC is now under a big restructuring. As one of leading research programs in JAMSTEC, CVRP is going to develop a new form of research activities aiming at achieving innovation in the field of prediction of climate/ocean variabilities occurring on the Earth as an aqua-planet. We also emphasized social contributions of our researches, which are to be done by designing meaningful connections between basic researches and their applications in addition to the close collaboration with newly found APL. Job application of a researcher is invited for the activities described below.
We welcome highly motivated persons who are interested in downscaling studies of climate/oceanic variations using ultra high-resolution ocean-wave-atmosphere coupling models as part of Japan Coastal Ocean Predictability Experiment.
1) A person who has a Ph.D. in related fields or who is expected to complete the degree by the date of employment. We also welcome applicants who have the equivalent research experiences.
2) Any nationality, any sex, and any age could be applied. FRCGC has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff. With a view to achieving a more equitable balance of men and women in all positions, we would like to particularly encourage qualified women to apply.
Please note that after April 1st, 2009, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology will be reorganizing the Agency. Although there will not be any changes in the content or the method of the research, systematic subjects, such as affiliation may change.
Frontier Research Center for Global Change,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
Kanazawa-ku Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
In principle, maximum contract term of this position will be as follows;
-Scientist: Five Japanese fiscal years. A screening to be promoted to Senior Scientist is conducted before the contract expires.
Contract period will be concluded according to fiscal year. Period of employment is from April 1st 2009 to March 31st 2010. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year.
(1) Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) Housing lease service is available through the JAMSTEC housing scheme. Eligibility for the housing scheme is subject to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b. References (recommendations) written by two senior research scientists.
The references should be sent directly from them to Research Promotion Office, Frontier Research Center for Global Change Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN.
(Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Frontier Research Center for Global Change
FRCGC Promotion Office, Human Resources
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
February, 27th, 2009 (application must arrive by this date)
1) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
2) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Frontier Research Promotion Office, Human Resources (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) See above mentioned (3) in "Method of application".
Related information is available on the following home page URL: