"Global Warming Research Project for IPCC-AR5" is one of leading projects of JAMSTEC, aiming to contribute to the coming IPCC-AR5 through global warming projections with the use of most developed models, quantifying uncertainties of the projections, providing physically and chemically sound bases on understanding global warming, and thus providing sound scientific basis for taking adaptation and mitigation measures to the ongoing global warming.
The project has six research groups. One of them is the Long-term Climate Projection Research Group. This group aims to project earth's environment up to 300 years or so based on some environment scenario with the use of integrated earth system models, estimate allowable CO2 emission due to human activities to realize the scenario and to contribute to the IPCC-AR5, and announces one sub-leader position. Details for this position are as follows.
Candidates should hold a Ph.D. (or equivalent) in such fields as physical oceanography, meteorology, geophysical fluid dynamics, climate dynamics or related fields in physics, and are required to have understanding of either atmospheric, oceanic or climate models and experience of research with the use of them. As the announced position is a sub-leader of the Long-term Climate Projection Research Group, candidates are required to have a skill of smooth management in numerical experiments, assisting the leader of the group. Reasonable command of spoken and written English is also required to communicate on a daily basis with colleagues from various nations.
1) A person who has a Ph.D. in related fields. We also welcome applicants who have the equivalent research experiences.
2) Any nationality, any sex, and any age could be applied. The Leading Project "Global Warming Research Project for IPCC-AR5FRCGC" has the principle of equality of men and women as it relates to the recruitment of all staff. With a view to achieving a more equitable balance of men and women in all positions, we would like to particularly encourage qualified women to apply.
Leading Project "Global Warming Research Project for IPCC-AR5",
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
Period of employment is from May 1st, 2009, to March 31, 2010. Employment contract is renewable every fiscal year depending on the progress of research until the end of the project, i.e. March 31, 2012.
(1) Payment will be decided according to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(2) Traveling expenses will be provided according to regulations.
(3) The participant and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance according to the current statutory proportion.
(4) Housing lease service is available through the JAMSTEC housing scheme. Eligibility for the housing scheme is subject to the JAMSTEC regulations.
(5) A commutation allowance will be provided.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, the year-end and the beginning of the year are holidays. There are annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence for care and maternity leave.
i) There are various kinds of subsidy system for personal interests/welfare.
ii) The Execution of Special Business Type Working Hour System is adopted for a full-time research scientist by the labor-management agreement with a worker representative.
(1) Required documents
a. One copy of research proposal including the research program which you desire to participate in. (A4 size, 1 page)
b. References (recommendations) written by two senior research scientists.
The references should be sent directly from them to Research Promotion Office, Frontier Research Center for Global Change Applicant's name should be written on the envelope.
c. One copy of a resume. (attached your email address for contact)
d. One copy of publication list including thesis titles.
Please separate those with referred journals from other publications.
e. One copy of a list for competitive funds from some kind of research institution in JAPAN.
(Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, any funded research from Japan Science and Technology Agency, etc)
Documents for the application should be sent by post before the deadline.
*We accept only by post.
Research Support Department, Research Support Division I ,
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa
Yokohama 236-0001 Japan
Closing date for application
April 14th, 2009 (application must arrive by this date)
1) Screening of application materials and interviews will be conducted.
2) Interviews will be conducted in Japanese or English.
1) Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
2) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The personal information we get through this recruitment is to be used only for our screening and our procedures accompanying. We deal with it safely and properly based on the personal information protection law. After our screening and procedures, we shred documents.
3) A health certificate should be submitted when the employment is informally decided.
4) A letter should be submitted if the applicant withdraws.
If you have further inquiries, please refer to Research Support Dept., Research Support Division I, Human Resources (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) See above mentioned (3) in "Method of application".
Related information is available on the following home page URL:
*JAMSTEC is an organization granted for KAKENHI (Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research)