JAMSTEC DEEP-SEA RESEARCH OUTLINE FY2004
Four years ago, JAMSTEC inaugurated a fully open system that invites requests from scientists wishing to use JAMSTEC deep-sea research vessels. JAMSTEC has finished the selection of research themes for FY2004. Three third-party committees (Remark) evaluated those themes and planned the operation schedules of JAMSTEC research vessels. As a result of judgments by those committees, JAMSTEC vessel cruises in FY2004 are planned as attached summaries.
For your guidance, the qualifications for applicants are shown as follows:
- Researchers in Japan belonging to public and governmental research institutions and independent administrative research institutions
- Researchers and teaching staff in Japan belonging to universities and other educational institutions
- Researchers who belong to other institutions or overseas institutions, yet who can qualify as joint researchers with the two above-mentioned groups or with JAMSTEC itself
- Deep-sea Research Promotion Committee (Chairman: Professor Emeritus Kazuo Kobayashi of The University of Tokyo): supervises the entire public invitation process of deep-sea research themes by JAMSTEC
- Deep-sea Research Implementation Committee (Chairman: Professor Hiromi Fujimoto of Tohoku University): discusses basic methods, evaluates and judges the application research themes (marking scores on a 100-point full marking basis)
- Deep-sea Research Implementation Program Coordination Sub-Committee (Chairman: Professor Toshitaka Gamo of the Ocean Research Institute at The University of Tokyo): coordinates the planning of annual vessel operation schedules and the selection of research themes in light of the marks of themes given by the Implementation Committee mentioned above
ŚNames of the above committees are tentative ones.
Research Support Department