The International Workshop for Large-scale Research Cruises of the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) will be held in Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan, from 6 to 7 November 2014.
Registration will take place from 8.30 a.m. to 9 a.m. during the first day of the workshop.
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences, JAMSTEC
3173-25, Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city, Kanagawa, Japan
(1) General Information on Access to Yokohama
The nearest international airport servicing Yokohama is "Haneda Airport" and "Narita International Airport". These two airports are serviced by public transport (JR, Keikyu line and Bus), by taxis and limousines. For more information, please visit the official web site of the airport.
1) From Haneda Airport International Passenger Terminal
- By Rail
- Keikyu Line (Airport Express): From Haneda Airport International Passenger Terminal to Yokohama area. The Haneda Airport International Passenger Terminal connects directly to the underground Haneda Airport International Terminal Station on the Keikyu Line. The fair is 450 JPY and the journey takes approximately 30 minutes. More information is available at: http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/sights/yokohama/.
- By Limousine Bus
- Yokohama City Air Terminal (YCAT): From Haneda Airport International Passenger Terminal to Yokohama Station (JR). The Coach stop can be found in the platform 7 at the ground floor. The fair is 580 JPY for one way and the journey takes approximately 30 minutes. More information is available at: http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/access/bus.html.
2) From Narita International Airport
Access information from the Narita International Airport is available at the following website: http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/.
- By Rail
- Narita Express (N’EX): From Narita Airport Terminal 1 or 2 to the Tokyo and Yokohama area. The fair is 4,290 JPY and the journey takes approximately 95 minutes. The Narita Express provides access from Narita Airport to Tokyo and Yokohama without transferring trains. More information is available at: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/.
- Skyliner Access Express (Keisei Skyliner): From Narita Airport Terminal 1 or 2 to Nippori or Ueno station in the Tokyo area. The fair is 2,470 JPY and the journey takes approximately 40 minutes. For Yokohama area, you will transfer to the JR line (Keihintohoku Line) from Nippori. The fair is 550 JPY and the journey takes approximately 55 minutes. More information is available at: http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/.
- By Limousine Bus
- Yokohama City Air Terminal (YCAT): From Narita Airport Terminal 1 or 2 to Yokohama Station (JR). The Coach stop can be found in the arrivals level at Terminal 1 and 2. The fair is 3,600 JPY for one way and the journey takes approximately 85 minutes. More information is available at: http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/bus/ (check "Kanagawa" and "Yokohama City Air Terminal (YCAT)").
Please note that Taxi will cost more than 10,000 JPY from Haneda airport to Yokohama Station (from Narita airport will be more.), so it is strongly recommended to use either a train or a bus.
Participants are kindly reminded that they have to make their own hotel reservations as soon as possible.
Below is an indicative list of some hotels located in the vicinity of the Yokohama Station (JR line and Keikyu line) which is bound for the Shin-Sugita station or Sugita station nearby the Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (JAMSTEC). Further information on hotels nearby Yokohama station is available at the following web site:
*For overnight flight (red-eye flight) users
Weather and other useful information
In November, temperatures in Yokohama range between a maximum of 17°C in the daytime and a minimum of 9°C at night. Current weather conditions in the area can be found at: http://www.jnto.go.jp/weather/eng/index.php.
The voltage and frequency in Yokohama, Japan is 100 Volts, 60 Hertz.
Currency and Rate of Exchange
The currency in Japan is the Japanese Yen (JPY). The current exchange rate (October 2014) is approximately 1 Euro = 135 JPY and 1 US $ = 107 JPY. Currency exchange facilities are readily available in banks and some hotels.