Group Leader, Senior Scientist
Marine Plastics Research Group
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
2-15 Natsushimasho, Yokosuka, 237-0061, Japan
- Ph.D. in Aquatic Bioscience, *Tokyo University of Fisheries (Tokyo, Japan)
Dissertation: “Zooplankton community structure in the eastern Indian Ocean sector, Antarctica"
- M.Sc. in Aquatic Bioscience, *Tokyo University of Fisheries (Tokyo, Japan)
Dissertation: “Zooplankton community structure change off Wilkes Land, Antarctica, with special reference to ecological importance of salps”
- B.A. in Human Ecology, College of the Atlantic (ME, U.S.A)
- *Currently, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
- Biological oceanography
- Climate change impacts on marine ecosystems and biodiversity
- Conservation and management of marine ecosystems and biodiversity
- Marine plastics research
Sanae has studied biology of marine mammals and plankton though her academic career. After completing her PhD on plankton ecology in the Antarctic Sea at Tokyo University of Fisheries, she worked at Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), where her research theme has been marine ecosystem response to climate change. She has studied mechanisms of interannual to decadal ecosystem changes in regional to basin scales using historically collected plankton data set, such as the Odate Collection. With JSPS Fund in 2009, she started taking a part in the North Pacific Continuous Plankton Recorder (CPR) Survey, which has been operated by Sir Alister Hardy Foundation of Ocean Science (SAHFOS) since the early 2000s. She has been a member of The Global Alliance of CPR Survey (GACS), which was established in 2011 aiming the global scale comparison and assessments of marine ecosystem changes.
Sanae was on secondment at UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre (WCMC) as a Senior Programme Officer of Marine Programme from January 2016 to February 2019. With a long career in the area of marine biology and working experience in the international ocean observation community, her tasks were to support existing projects and contributes to the development of new projects of WCMC on linking ocean observation and marine conservation policy. Through the experience at UNEP-WCMC, she started involved in studies on marine debris, and from April 2019, assigned as the Leader of the newly launched Marine Plastics Research Group at JAMSTEC. Her current interest is toward not only natural science but also social science including science-policy interface, and ocean literacy which are important components to solve the problems of marine plastic pollution.
Sanae has been active in international community as a member of several international ocean science initiatives such as IOC/UNESCO-Global Ocean Observation System Biology/Ecosystem Panel (GOOS-Bio/Eco), MONITOR committee of the North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES), and Group of Experts of the 2nd Process of United Nations World Ocean Assessment. She is one of the co-chairs of Program Committee of OceanObs’19.
This animation as written and designed by Clare Buckland, SAHFOS Education Officer
Power of Plankton
- Long-term change study on biogeochemical cycle and marine ecosystem, in New Ocean Paradigm on its Biogeochemistry, Ecosystem and Sustainable Use (NEOPS), Grant-in0Aid for Scientific Research (Innovative Areas) JSPS, FY2012-2016
- Evaluation of marine ecosystem response to global scale environmental variation based on the Continuous Plankton Recorder observation. Grant-in Aid for Scientific Research, (A) JSPS, FY2009-2013
- North Atlantic-North Pacific comparison of long-term ecosystem change based on the International initiative of marine ecosystem monitoring. JSPS Bilateral Joint Projects (with UK), FY2011-2012
- Development of Global Marine Ecosystem Observation System using Continuous Plankton Recorders. JSPS Bilateral Joint Projects (with UK), FY2009-2010
- Did long-tern change in the lower trophic level affect Biological Carbon Pump function in the western North Pacific? Grant-in Aid for Scientific Research (Tokutei-Kobo), JST, FY2007-2008
- Study on global scale change in the marine ecosystem using long-term zooplankton data set. Grant-in Aid for Scientific Research, (B), JSPS, FY2006-2008
- Reponses of the lower trophic level ecosystem to the spatio-temporal environmental variations in the Arctic Ocean. Grant-in Aid for Scientific Research (C), JSPS, FY2003-2005
- Studies on long term variation of ocean ecosystem/climate interactions based on the Odate collection, Global Environmental Research Fund, Japanese Ministry of the Environment, FY2003-2005
- Effects of global warming on the Antarctic Ocean ecosystem: special interests on ecological roles of salps, Sasakawa Scientific Research Grant from the Japan Science Society, FY1998-1999
- Growth and the optimal feeding conditions of Salpa thompsoni, Australian National Antarctic Research (ANARE) Project FY 1998
Membership/Service for International Community
- Co-Chair of Program Committee of OceanObs’19, 2018 -
- Technical advisor for Action 2 of G7 Ocean, 2016
- Member of Group of Experts of the 2nd Process of the World Ocean Assessment, 2016.5~
- Member of IOC/GOOS Biology/Ecosystem Panel, 2015.5 ~
- Co-Chair of PICES/MONITOR Committee, PICES, 2013.11~
- Member of GACS (Global Alliance of CPR Survey), 2011.9~
- SSC member of Ocean Expo, Climate change symposium, 2010.10~2012.2
- SSC member of International Zooplankton Production Symposium, 2010.1~2011.3
- Scientific Advisor of Open Ocean Group, Transition Water Assessment Program (TWAP), IOC, 2010.1~ 2010.6
- Member of CPR-AP (CPR advisory panel), PICES, 2010~2015
- Member of PICES/CCCC task team CFAME, 2005~2009
- Member of SCOR WG125 “Global comparisons of zooplankton time series”, 2005-2009
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Plankton Research, 2004~2018
- Member of the International GLOBEC Focus2 Working Group, 2003-2009
Peer reviewed journal papers
- Beaugrand G, Conversi A, Atkinson A, Cloern J, Chiba S, Fonda-Umani S, Kirby RR, Greene CH, Mantua N, Goberville E, Otto SA, Reid PC, Stemmann L, Edwards M (2019) Unprecedented biological shifts in the global ocean. Nature Climate Change. doi.org/10.1038/s41558-019-0420.
- Prowe, AEF, Andersen K, Chiba S, Visser AW, Kiorboe T (2018) Zooplankton feeding strategy biogeography explained by global ecosystem model. Limnology and Oceanography. doi: 10.1002/lno.11067
- Bax NJ, Simmons SE, Miloslavich, Appeltans W, Aburto-Oropeza, Batten S, Benedetti-Cecchi L, Checkley D, Chiba S, Duffy JE, Dunstan1 PK, Fischer A, Andersen Garcia, Gunn MJ, Klein E, Kudela R, Marsac F, Muller-Karger F, Obura, Shin YJ. (2018) Linking capacity development and technology transfer to Essential Ocean Variables will build the enduring networks of a Global Ocean Observing System. Frontiers in Marine Science, doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2018.00346.
- Chiba S, Batten S, Martin CS, Ivory S, Miloslavich P, Weatherdon LV (2018) Zooplankton monitoring to contribute towards addressing global biodiversity conservation challenges. Journal of Plankton Research (Horizons paper), 40,509-518, doi:10.1093/plankt/fby030.
- Muller-Karger FE, Miloslavich P, Bax N, Simmons S, Costello MJ, Pinto IS Canonico G, Turner W, Gill M, Montes E, Best BD, Pearlman J, Halpin P, Dunn D, Benson A, Martin CS, Weatherdon LV, Appeltans W, Provoost P, Klein E, Kelble CR, Miller RJ, Chavez FP, Iken K, Chiba S, Obura D, Navarro LM, Pereira HM, Allain V, Batten S, Benedetti-Checchi L, Duffy JE, Kudela RM Rebelo LM, Shin Y, Geller G (2018) Advancing Marine Biological Observations and Data Requirements of the Complementary Essential Ocean Variables (EOVs) and Essential Biodiversity Variables (EBVs) Frameworks. Frontiers in Marine Science, doi:10.3389/fmars.2018.00211
- Miloslavich, P, Bax N, Simmons S, Klein E, Appeltans W, Aburto-Oropeza O, Anderson-García M, Batten S, Benedetti-Cecchi L, Checkley D, Chiba S, Duffy E, Dunn D, Fischer A, Gunn J, Kudela R, Marsac R, Muller-Karger F, Obura D, Shin YJ (2018) Essential Ocean Variables for sustained observations of marine biodiversity and ecosystems. Global Change Biology, doi:10.1111/gcb.14108
- Chiba S, Saito H, Fletcher R, Yogi T, Kayo M, Miyagi S, Ogido M, Fujikura K (2018) Human footprint in the abbyss: 30 year records of deep-sea plastic debris. Marine Policy. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2018.03.022
- Aita MN, Chiba S, Tadokoro K (2016) Interdecadal variation of lower trophic ecosystems in the North Pacific. Umi no Kenkyu. 27, 43-57 (Japanese with English abstract) (submitted)
- Yasunaka S, Nojiri Y, Hashioka T, Yoshikawa C, Kodama T, Nakaoka Shin-ichiro, Chiba S, Hashihama F, Wakita M, Furuya K, Sasano D, Murata A, Uchida H, Aoyama M (2017) Basin-scale distribution of NH4+ and NO2− in the Pacific Ocean. Journal of Oceanography Japan. DOI:10.1007/s10872-017-0433-1
- Atkinson A, Simeon LH, Pakhomov E, Siege V, Anadon R, Chiba S, Daly KL, Rod Downie R, Fretwell P, Gerrish L, Hosie GW, Jessopp MJ, Kawaguchi S, Krafft BA, Loeb V, Nishikawa J, Peat HJ, Reiss CS, Ross RM, Quetin LB, Schmidt K, Steinberg DK, Subramaniam RC, Tarling GA (2016) KRILLBASE: a circumpolar database of Antarctic krill and salp numerical densities,1926-2016. Earth Syst. Sci. Data Discuss., doi:10.5194/essd-2016-52
- Ishii M, Suga T, Chiba S (2015) Chap. 3 Essential Ocean Variables for Global Ocean Observing System. In Guideline for Ocean Observation Vol. 1. G103JP:006
- Yoshiki T, S Chiba, H Sugisaki, T Ichikawa, S Batten (2015) Northerly shift of warm-water copepods in the western subarctic North Pacific: Continuous Plankton Recorder samples (2001-2010), Fisheries Oceanography, 24, 414-429.
- Chiba S, S Batten, T Yoshiki, Y Sasaki, K Sasaoka, H Sugisaki, T Ichikawa (2015) Temperature and zooplankton size structure: climate control and basin-scale comparison in the North Pacific. Ecology and Evolution. doi:10.1002/ece3.1408
- Chiba S, T Ono (2014) Long term change in biogeochemical properties and lower trophic level ecosystem in the subarctic western North Pacific, Coastal Oceanography Research (in Japanese with English abstract) (in press).
- Beaugrand G, A Conversi, S Chiba, M Edwards, S. Fonda-Umani, C. Greene, N. Mantua, S. Otto, P.C. Reid, M. Stachura, L. Stemmann, H. Sugisaki (2014) Marine pelagic regime shifts in the Northern Hemisphere, are they linked? Philosophical Transaction B (in press).
- Chiba S., Di Lorenzo E, Davis A, Keister JE, Taguchi B, Sasai Y, Sugisaki H (2013) Large-scale climate control of zooplankton transport and biogeography in the Kuroshio-Oyashio Extension region. Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 5182-5187 doi:10.1002/grl.50999.
- Di Lorenzo E, Combes V, Keister JE, Strub TP, Thomas AC, Franks PJS, Ohman MD, Furtado J, Bracco A, Bograd SJ, Peterson WT, Schwing FB, Chiba S, Taguchi B, Hormazabal S, Parada C (2013) Synthesis of Pacific Ocean Climate & Ecosystems Dynamics, Oceanography, 26(4), 68-81.
- Matsuno K, Yamaguchi A, Ichiro I, Onodera J, Chiba S, Harada N, Kikushi T (2013) Seasonal changes in mesozooplankton swimmers collected by sediment trap moored in the western Arctic Ocean. Journal of Plankton Research: 36:490-502. doi:10.1093/plankt/fbt092.
- Yoshiki T, Chiba S, Sugisaki H, Sasaoka K, Ono T. Batten S (2013) Interannual variations and regional differences in the developmental timing of mesozooplankton in the western North Pacific Ocean based on Continuous Plankton Recorder data from 2001 to 2009. Journal of Plankton Research. doi:10.1093/plankt/fbt047.
- Yatsu A, Chiba S, Yamanaka Y, Ito S, Shimizu Y, Kaeriyama M, Watanabe Y (2013) Climate forcing and the Kuroshio/Oyashio ecosystem. ICES Journal of Marine Science. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fst084.
- Keister JE, Bonnet D, Chiba S, Johnson CL, MacKas DL, Escribano R (2012) Zooplankton population connections, community dynamics, and climate variability. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 69: 347 – 350
- Chiba S, S. Batten, K. Sasaoka, H. Sugisaki (2012) Influence of the Pacific Decadel Oscillation on phytoplankton phenology and community structure in the western North Pacific based on satellite observation and the Continuous Plankton Recorder survey for 2001–2009. Geophysical Research Letters. Vol. 39, L15603, doi:10.1029/2012GL052912
- Yoshida K, Chiba S, Ishimaru T (2011) Long-term variation in the wintertime diatom community structure in Tokyo Bay (1981-2000), Plankton and Benthos Res. 6 (4): 195-205
- Mackas DL, Greve W, Edwards M, Chiba S, Tadokoro K, Eloire D, M.G. Mazzocchi MG, Batten S, Richardson AJ, Johnson JC, Head E, Conversi A, Peluso T. (2011) Changing zooplankton seasonality in a changing ocean: Comparing time series of zooplankton phenology. Progress in Oceanography. doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2011.11.005
- Chiba S, Sugisai H, Kuwata A, Tadokoro K, Kobari T, Yamaguchi A, Mackas DL (2011) Pan-North Pacific comparison of long-term variation of Neocalanus copepods based on stable isotope analysis. Progress in Oceanography. doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2011.11.007
- Sasaoka K, Chiba S, Saino T. (2011) Climatic forcing and phytoplankton phenology over the subarctic North Pacific from 1998 to 2006, as observed from ocean color data. Geophysical Research Letters. 38, L15609, doi:10.1029/2011GL048299
- Rombouts I, Beaugrand G, Ibanez F, Chiba S, Legendre L. (2011) Marine copepod diversity patterns and the Metabolic Theory in Ecology. Oikologia. 166:349-355.
- Rombouts I, Beaugrand G, Ibanez F, Gasparine, S., Chiba S, Legendre L. (2010) A multivariate approach to large-scale variation in marine planktonic copepod diversity and its environmental correlates. Limnology and Oceanography. 55: 2219-2229.
- Chiba S, Hirawake T, Ishizaki S, Ito S, Kamiya, H., Kaeriyama, M., Kuwata, A., Midorikawa T, Minobe S, Okamoto S, Okazaki Y, Ono T, Saito H, Saitoh S, Sasano D, Tadokoro K, Takahashi K, Takatani Y, Watanabe Y, Watanabe YW, Watanuki Y, Yamamura O, Yamashita N, Yatsu A. (2010) Status and trends of the Oyashio region, In McKinnell & Dagg [Eds.] Marine Ecosystems of the North Pacific, 2003-2008. PICES Special Publication No. 4, P. 393.
- McKinnell SM. Batten S, Bograd S, Boldt JL, Bond N, Chiba S, Dagg MJ, Foreman MGG, Hunt Jr., GL. Irvine JR, Katugin O, Mackas DL, Lobanov V, Mundy P, Radchenko,V, Ro YJ, Sugisaki H, Whitney FA, Yatsu A, Yoo S. (2010) Status and trends of the North Pacific Ocean, 2003-2008, In S.M. McKinnell and M. Dagg. [Eds] Marine Ecosystems of the North Pacific Ocean, 2003-2008. PICES Special Publication 4, P. 393.
- Harris R, Buckley L, Campbell R, Chiba S, Costa D, Dickey T, Gifford D, Irigoien X, McKinnell S, Kiorboe T, Möllmann C, Ohman M, Peterson W, Runge J, Saiz E, St John M, Wiebe (2010) Chapter 6. Dynamics of marine ecosystems: ecological processes (2009) In Global Change and Marine Ecosystem. Eds. Barange M, Field J. Harris R, Hofmann, E, Perry I, Werner C. Oxford University Press, P. 440.
- Nishino S, Shimada K, Itoh M, Chiba S (2009) Vertical double silicate maxima in the sea ice reduction region of the western arctic ocean: inplicatins for enhanced biological pump due to sea-ice reduction. J. Oceanography. 65: 871-883.
- Rombouts I, Beaugrand G, IbaHez F, Gasparini S, Chiba S, Legendre L (2009) Global latitudinal variations in marin copepod diversity and environmental factors. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 276: 3053-3062. Doi: 10.1098/rspb.2009.0742.
- Chiba S, Sugisaki H, Nonaka M, Saino T (2009) Geographical shift of zooplankton communities and decadal dynamics of the Kuroshio-Oyashio Currents in the western North Pacific. Global Change Biol. Global Change Biol. 15: 1846-1858.
- Nishino S, Shimada K, Itoh M, Yamamoto-Kawai M, Chiba S. (2008) East-west differences of water mass, nutrient, and chlorophyll a distributions in the sea-ice reduction region of the western Arctic Ocean. J. Geographic Res. 113, C00A01, doi:10,1029/2007JC004666.
- Yatsu A, Aydin KY, King JR, McFarlane GA, Chiba S, Tadokoro K, Kaeriyama M, Watanabe Y (2008) Mechanisms of fish population dynamics to climatic forcing: comparative study on selected stocks representing five life-history strategies in the North Pacific. Prog. Oceanogr. 77: 252-268.
- Chiba S, Aita NM, Tadokoro K, Saino T, Sugisaki H, Nakata K (2008) From climate regime shits to plankton phenology: synthesis of recent progress in retrospective studies of the western North Pacific. Prog. Oceanogr. 77: 112-126.
- Chiba S (2007) Responses of the lower trophic level ecosystem of the Japan Sea to the North Pacific decadal variation in the latter half of the 20th century. Fossils. 82: 72-77 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Chiba S, Tadokoro K, Sugisaki H, Saino T (2006) Effects of decadal climate change on zooplankton over the last 50 years in the western subarctic North Pacific. Global Change Biology 12(5): 907-920.
- Chiba S., Hirota Y, Hasegawa S, Saino T (2005) North-south contrast in decadal scale variations in lower trophic level ecosystems in the Japan Sea. Fish Oceanogr. 14: 401-412
- Tadokoro K, Chiba S, Ono T, Midorikawa T, Saino T (2005) Interannual variations of Neocalanus copepods biomass in the Oyashio water, western subarctic North Pacific. Fish Oceanogr. 14: 210-222.
- Tsuda A, Kiyosawa H., Mochizuki M, Shiga N, Saito H, Chiba S, Kuwata A, Imai K, Nishioa J, Ono T, Jundholm N (2005) Responses of diatoms to iron-enrichment in the western subarctic Pacific, and comparison of species composition with those of surrounding area. Prog Oceanogr. 64: 189-205.
- Chiba S, Ono T, Tadokoro K, Midorikawa T, Saino T (2004) Increased stratification and decreased lower trophic level productivity in the Oyashio Region of the North Pacific: A 30-year retrospective study . J Oceanogr Special Issue on JGOFS North Pacific Synthesis. 60:149-162.
- Miller A, Chai F, Chiba S, Moisan JR, Neilson DJ (2004) Decadal-scale climate and ecosystem interactions of the North Pacific Ocean.. J Oceanogr Special Issue on JGOFS North Pacific Synthesis. 60: 163-188.
- Perry RI, Batchelder HP, Durbin E, Greve W, Mackas, DL, Chiba S, Verheye H (2004) Identifying global synchronies in marine zooplankton populations: issues and opportunities. ICES J Mar Sci. 61: 445-456.
- Yamada K, Ishizaka J, Yoo S, Kim H, Chiba S (2004) Seasonal and interannual variability of sea surface chlorophyll a concentration in the Japan (East) Sea. Prog Oceanogr. 61: 193-211.
- Chiba S, Saino T (2003) Variation in mesozooplankton community structure in the Japan/East Sea (1991-1999) with possible influence of the ENSO scale climatic variability. Prog in Oceanogr. 57: 317-339.
- Chiba S, Saino T (2002). Interdecadal change in the upper water column environment and spring diatom community structure in the Japan Sea: An early summer hypothesis. Mar Ecol Prog Ser. 231:23-35.
- Chiba S, Ishimaru T, Hosie GW, Fukuchi M (2002) Spatio-temporal variability in life cycle strategy of four pelagic Antarctic copepods: Rhincalanus gigas, Calanoides acutus, Calanus propinquus and Metridia gerlachei. Polar Bioscience 15: 27-44.
- Chiba S, Ishimaru T, Hosie GW, Fukuchi M (2001) Spatio-temporal variability of zooplankton community structure off east Antarctica (90-160E). Mar Ecol Prog Ser 216: 95-108.
- Chiba S, Hirawake T, Ushio S, Horimoto N, Satoh R, Nakajuma Y, Ishimaru T, Yamaguchi Y (2000）An overview of the biological/oceanographic survey by the RTV Umitaka-Maru III off Adelie Land, Antarctica in January-February 1996. Deep-Sea Res II 47: 2589-2613.
- Chiba S, Ishimaru T, Hosie GW, Wright SW (1999) Population structure change of Salpa thompsoni from austral mid-summer to autumn. Polar Biol 22: 341-349.
- Chiba S, Horimoto N, Satoh R, Yamaguchi Y, Ishimaru T (1998) Macrozooplankton distribution around the Antarctic Divergence off Wilkes Land in 1996 austral summer: with reference to high abundance of Salpa thompsoni. Proc NIPR Symp Polar Biol 11: 33-50.
- Chiba S (2018) Better communication between marine science and policy through the development of global indicators. Ocean Newsletter, 434, (in Japanese)
- Chiba S (2018) Plastic bag in the 10,000 deep: status of marine plastic pollution. Nippon.com News Letter.
- Chiba S, Batten S (2018) Global Ocean Observing System – Biology and Ecosystems Panel report. PICES Press, 26-1, 42.
- Thornton HE, Weatherdon LV, Chiba S, Martin JCG, and Fletcher S, Martin CS (2017). Towards a global distribution of migration routes and breeding areas for marine species. A briefing. Cambridge (UK): UN Environment World Conservation Monitoring Centre. 20 pp. including one annex.
- Eassom A, Chiba S, Fletcher R, Scrimgeour R, Fletcher S (2016). Horizon scan of pressures on Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction, pp.43, UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge, UK
- Edwards, M., Helaouet, P., Alhaija, R.A., Ba en, S., Beaugrand, G., Chiba, S., Horaeb, R.R., Hosie, G., Mcqua ers-Gollop, A., Ostle, C., Richardson, A.J., Rochester, W., Skinner, J., Stern, R., Takahashi, K., Taylor, C., Verheye, H.M., & Woo on, M. (2016). Global Marine Ecological Status Report: results from the global CPR Survey 2014/2015. SAHFOS Technical Report, 11: 1-32. Plymouth, U.K. ISSN 1744-0750
- Chiba S (2016) CES/PICES Zooplankton Production Symposium: Discovering the new through scrutiny of the old. ICES News. http://www.ices.dk/news-and-events/news-archive/news/Pages/ICES-PICES-Zooplankton-Symposium-Part-3.aspx
- Chiba S (2014) (contribution of autobiographical sketch) in Woman in Oceanography – a decade later. Oceanography. 27: 85.
- Edwards M, Helaouet P, Johns DG, Batten S, Beaugrand G, Chiba S, Head E, Hosie G, Richardson AJ, Takahashi K, Verheye HM, Ward P, Wootton M (2014). Global Marine Ecological Status Report: results from the global CPR survey 2013/2014. SAHFOS Technical Report. 10: 1-40
- Chiba S (2014) 6.2 Climate influence on the lower trophic level marine ecosystem, In Introductory of Fisheries Oceanography, Sustainable Use of Fisheries Resources, (eds. T. Wada et al.), Kodansha Scientific, Tokyo (in Japanese).pp. 319, ISBN978-4-06-153738-5
- Chiba S (2013) Chapter 2, 3.6 Long-term change study. In The Oceanographic Society of Japan 1941-2011 (eds. H. Ogawa et al.). The Oceanographic Society of Japan, Tokyo. P. 78 (In Japanese)
- Edwards M, Helaouet P, Johns DG, Batten S, Beaugrand G, Chiba S, Flavell M, Head E, Hosie G. Richardson AJ, Takahashi K, Verheye HM, Ward P, Wootton M. Global Marine Ecological Status Report: results from the global CPR survey 2010/2011. SAFHOS Technical Report. 9, 1-40. Plymouth, UK (2012)
- Hamasaki K, Ishizaka J, Saito, H, Sugisaki H, Suzuki K, Takahashi K, Chiba S (2013) Decadal Vision in Oceanography (III) - Discussions in the biological oceanography subgroup of the future planning committee, The Oceanographic Society of Japan – Umi no Kenkyu. 22-6 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Chiba S (2013) Basic knowledge on marine ecosystem, In Illustrated Guide of Global Environment, (eds. M. Yoshizaki et al.), Asakura Shoten, Tokyo, pp.400, ISBN 978-4-254-16059-8 C3544 (in Japanese).
- Chiba S (2013) Tiny plankton rule the ocean, In A guide to oceanologic and nautical professionals 2 (ed. K. Kubokawa), Tokai University Press, Tokyo. pp. 235 (in Japanese).
- Chiba S, Sugisaki H, Tadokoro K, Nagasawa T (2012) Trophic link between Neocalanus copepods and Pink salmon in the western subarctic North Pacific based on long-term nitrogen stable isotope analysis. NPAFC Technical Report 8: 19-20
- Chibs S, Ishimaru T (2009) Present status and future subjects for integration of phytoplankton biodiversity data - from a view point of ecosystem change study. Bulletin of the Plankton Society of Japan. 56: 161-165.
- Chiba S (2009) Lower trophic level responses to the climatic regime shifts. Kaiyo Monthly. 1: 24- (in Japanese).
- Walkusz W, Paulic JE, Papst MH, Kwasniewsiki S, Chiba S, Crawford RE (2008) Zooplankton and ichthyoplankton data collected from the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas during the R/V Mirai cruise, September 2002. Canadian Data Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.1211: 34p.
- Chiba S (2007) Global warming and the marine ecosystem -Warning from marine life -.
OPRT Newsletter International. No. 17: 1-2.
- Chiba S, Sugisaki H (2006) Long-term spatio-temporal variation of copepod community in the western North Pacific and influences of the North Pacific Decadal Oscillation. GLOBEC News Letter 12: 63-64.
- Chiba S (2005) The Odate Project Report: Phenological change in the Oyashio copepod communities for 1960-2002. GLOBEC News Letter. 11: 11-12.
- Chiba S, Aita MN, Tadokoro K (2005) Recommendation toward better modeling vol. 2: Retrospective study and prediction of global marine ecosystem change - tackling biological complexity -. Kaiyo Monthly. 37: 618-623. (in Japanese).
- Saito S, Chiba S, Nakata K, Yatsu A (2004) Did a regime shift occur in 1998 around Japan? – Highlights from a symposium addressing this question. PICES Press. 12: 21-24
- Chiba S (2003) Breakthrough of plankton study for global change. Bull Plankton Soc Japan. 50: 36-40 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Chiba S, Saiino T (2003) Response of lower trophic level ecosystem to climate change in the Japan Sea. Kaiyo Monthly. 393:155-161 (in Japanese).
- Tadokoro T, Chiba S, Saino T (2003) Interannual variation of Neocalanus copepods biomass in the Oyashio Water. Kaiyo Monthly 35: 19-24 (in Japanese).
- Chiba S (2002) The Plankton Center for Global Change. Ship & Ocean Newsletter 48: 4-5.
- Chiba S (2001) Japan Sea time-series: Qualitative study on lower trophic level ecosystem may reveal the process on climate-ecosystem interaction. PICES Scientific Report, 18: 93-96.
- Chiba S (2001) Let the plankton community tell their story: environment- ecosystem interaction. Kaiyo Monthly, Spec Issue 27: 12-18 (in Japanese).
- Tanimura A, Hosie GW, Chiba S (1999) Zooplankton as an index of environmental change. Kaiyo Monthly 31: 795-803 (in Japanese).
- Outstanding paper award of the Japanese Society of Fisheries Oceanography (2006.4) paper title: Chiba S., Hirota Y, Hasegawa S, Saino T (2005) North-south contrast in decadal scale variations in lower trophic level ecosystems in the Japan Sea. Fish Oceanogr. 14: 401-412
- Frontier Research Center for Global Change Research Award (2004.3) Long-term change in the lower trophic level ecosystem in the Japan Sea.
- Best presentation award. Chiba S, Saino T (2001.10) Plankton community study: a better way to understand ecosystem dynamics in the Japan Sea. North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES) 10th Meeting. Victoria, Canada (oral).
- Best presentation award. Chiba S. Spatio-temporal variability of zooplankton community structure off east Antarctica: what goes on in the krill-absent system (2001. 3). Gordon Research Conference on Polar Marine Science, California, U.S. A. (oral, Invited).