MIxed Layer data set of Argo, Grid Point Value
JAMSTEC produces a data set of gridded mixed layer depth with its related parameters, named MILA GPV (MIxed Layer data set of Argo, Grid Point Value). MILA GPV consists of 10-day and monthly average data from Juanuary 2001 and monthly climatology data in the global ocean using Argo temperature and salinity profiles.
Important Notice (September 2nd, 2022)
The MILA GPV has been calculated mainly using real time QC Argo profile data (this version is hereinafter referred to as Near Real Time (NRT)). In addition to this, we will released the new dataset mainly using delayed mode Argo profile data (hereinafter referred to as Delayed Mode (DM)). This is updated once a year and we will recalculated the dataset for the entire period, using all Argo profile data in Global Data Assembly Center at that time. Therefore, DM uses more delayed mode Argo profile data than NRT. For more details, please read "Quick instruction" below.
Important Notice (September 17th, 2021)
According to high salinity drift of CTD sensors on Argo floats that occur more frequently than usual because of a manufacturing problem, we recalculate using the Argo profile data in the latest quality control stage. Please look at this document for details. We recommend strongly that you should download data files of MILA GPV again if you downloaded them before September 17th, 2021.
About MILA GPV
- Mixed layer depth is defined using a finite difference method based on temperature and σθ at 10 dbar. Two pairs of the difference criteria are used such as (Δσθ=0.03kg/m3 and ΔT=0.2°C) and (Δσθ =0.125kg/m3 and ΔT=0.5°C). The mixed layer depth is estimated from a minimum thickness of either Δσθ or ΔT. Isothermal layer thickness and isopycnal thickness are estimated using two criteria, respectively. Producing parameters of mixed layer depth, isothermal layer thickness and isopycnal layer thickness are listed below.
- Mixed Layer Properties (depth definition : shallower thickness, either Δσθ=0.03kg/m3 or ΔT=0.2°C)
- Mixed Layer Properties (depth definition : shallower thickness, either Δσθ=0.125kg/m3 or ΔT=0.5°C)
- Isothermal Layer Properties (thickness definition : ΔT=0.2°C)
- Isopycnal Layer Properties (thickness definition : Δσθ=0.03kg/m3)
- Isothermal Layer Properties (thickness definition : ΔT=0.5°C)
- Isopycnal Layer Properties (thickness definition : Δσθ=0.125kg/m3)
- Reprint without permission, the re-distribution, the modification, and the commercial use are prohibited though JAMSTEC doesn't disturb the free use of this data in principle.
- Please source the above when you make the result using this data public.
- JAMSTEC doesn't assume the responsibility to any damage of the user of this data.
- Citation: Shigeki Hosoda (2010) MIxed Layer data set of Argo, Grid Point Value. JAMSTEC. doi:10.17596/0000105
Please click here in order to download dataset files.